Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Merchandised search eVar with binding events

Level 1

Hi all, I have a merchandised eVar which captures a search term. eVar is being set on the pageLoad.

It has been implement using conversion variable syntax. Binding events are "prodView" and "scAdd". It appears that only search terms which were followed / resulted in binding events are being recorded. Could anyone share their thoughts / observations on the above ? Thanks

fj81_1-1660750660980.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hey @fj81 

for you question "if we set the merchandised eVar with the add to cart binding event, a product is bound when add to cart happens. Does the transaction need to happen during the same visit in order to attribute search term(s) to the specific product purchase ?"

I believe this depends on the expiry set on your eVar (the default is "visit", but you change that in the Admin panel, maybe try Visitor?) Like anything... test, test, test....  in your QA/Dev environment try different scenarios and make sure the data is tracked as expected.

As for the events not triggering, that is odd... I've really only used "Product Syntax" before....

and I've never had an issue with the events.... events passed in s.events map to all my merchandising eVars, and events that I specifically pass per product only map to those products.....    maybe you need to bind those events when you use the "Conversion Variable Syntax".. but I don't know what this will do to the non-merchandising eVars? If the event will correlate or not... sorry, I wish I could be more help on that......

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Community Advisor

Just so I am sure I understand... what is the intention of the tracking?

Are you trying to track "Search Terms" for every search?

Or are you trying to correlate which "Search Terms" resulted in a Product View or Add to Cart Action?

I believe your current setup will only record for the correlation if I am not mistaken, so based on your configuration, this seems to be correct.

If you want to track search terms on each search, you shouldn't configure with a binding event... 

If you want both, you may have to create 2 versions, one which is bound to those actions, and one which is not.

There is another option as well... if you track all search terms, you could use a last touch attribution (visit scope) from your product view or add to see which search terms resulted in those actions... however, this could get a little messy (user performs a search, backs out, does some other actions, gets to your product not through search (triggering a prodView) then adds to cart (scAdd)... 

The last search, which may not be a direct path to the product; but was the last search performed could be picked up in such an attribution model... You could tighten this up with a custom lookback.. maybe last touch search in 1 min / 5 mins / etc (this would reduce the potential mismatches)?

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1660773648888.png

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1660773661050.png

Level 1

Hi Jennifer, 

Thanks for the above. The initial idea was to track all search terms and attribute revenue to the search terms which resulted in prodView or scAdd. Now, I have noticed that in my current set up only keywords which resulted in prodView or scAdd are recorded (and the ones which did not result in a product view or add to cart are added to the "unspecified" column in adobe). 

fj81_0-1660898604685.png

AC - I still want to see all keywords tracked, but I would also want to get a correct revenue allocation (instead of the default allocation of ‘Most recent’ search term - all revenue credit to the most recent). 

If I remove the binding events, would all search keywords get recorded ? How the revenue would be attributed if no binding events are selected ?

Thanks,

Franc

Community Advisor

Right.. this is where you might want to have 2 separate eVars... one to capture all search results and another which is bound to your cart events.... 

Or as you could try using custom attribution as I mentioned with the original unbound eVar..... If you have the option, try both... see if you  can use attribution to get close values to the bound event...  Having both right now would allow you to compare the values.

The gear on your Cart Additions or Revenue Metrics have Custom Attribution available:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1660912707051.png

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1660912781245.png

Jennifer_Dungan_2-1660912813560.png

Level 1

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for the above. Quick question - if we set the merchandised eVar with the add to cart binding event, a product is bound when add to cart happens. Does the transaction need to happen during the same visit in order to attribute search term(s) to the specific product purchase ? Example would be a visitor comes to the site, searches for a something and subsequently adds the found item to the basket. Comes back next day and completes the purchase.

Thanks,

Franc

Level 1

Jennifer, another question I forgot to ask. When we perform a search a couple of events are being set (event6 and event12) both indicate that user has performed search. eVar5 (currently merchandised) captures search term. When I look at the Adobe UI, I no longer can see the e16 and e12 despite the fact that these are set in the same image request (see screenshots below). By any chance you can explain why is this happening ? Can't fully understand. Thanks

fj81_0-1661163474844.png

It appears that all instances of event6 / 12 are pointing to the "Unspecified" column. I can't understand why. 

fj81_1-1661163550576.png

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hey @fj81 

for you question "if we set the merchandised eVar with the add to cart binding event, a product is bound when add to cart happens. Does the transaction need to happen during the same visit in order to attribute search term(s) to the specific product purchase ?"

I believe this depends on the expiry set on your eVar (the default is "visit", but you change that in the Admin panel, maybe try Visitor?) Like anything... test, test, test....  in your QA/Dev environment try different scenarios and make sure the data is tracked as expected.

As for the events not triggering, that is odd... I've really only used "Product Syntax" before....

and I've never had an issue with the events.... events passed in s.events map to all my merchandising eVars, and events that I specifically pass per product only map to those products.....    maybe you need to bind those events when you use the "Conversion Variable Syntax".. but I don't know what this will do to the non-merchandising eVars? If the event will correlate or not... sorry, I wish I could be more help on that......

Level 1

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for you all your help. Much appreciated.

Thanks,

Franc