Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcement: Calling all learners and mentors! Applications are now open for the Adobe Analytics 2024 Mentorship Program! Come learn from the best to prepare for an official certification in Adobe Analytics.

Measure the number of page views before an internal search is made

Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to determine the average number of PVs a visitor makes on my site BEFORE invoking the internal search. Does anyone have experience in answering this question using Analytics? 

1 Reply

Community Advisor

Does this need to be "Visitor Level"? Or within a Visit?

If you are looking at Visitor, this could be a very large number because it will include all the visits that the user didn't even perform a search (plus, if the user did multiple searches, I don't know if there is a proper way to only include since the last search, or at least it won't be easy)

In both cases though, this would require a sequential segment.

But there will be variations depending on how you record a "search being made"... if you have an event on an action (search submit form) vs identifying a search by landing on a search results page.... I have both, so I am going to add some extra logic to my example to make sure that the segment does bring back extra data)

VISIT  (Only Before Sequence)

[HIT level Container]

Page Views exists

AND

Page Type (prop/eVar) does not equal search

[Container End]

THEN within 1 hit

Search Performed (event) exists

Essentially, I am looking for any non-search page view followed directly by a "search performed" event, and only looking at traffic with a visit up until this sequence (please note that the Only Before Sequence is a bit odd.. it's not really before it's before and including the sequence)

If you don't have a "Search Performed" event, you should be able to do a modified:

VISIT  (Only Before Sequence)

[HIT level Container]

Page Views exists

AND

Page Type (prop/eVar) does not equal search

[Container End]

THEN within 1 page view

Page Type (prop/eVar) equals search