Expand my Community achievements bar.

Measure the number of page views before an internal search is made

Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to determine the average number of PVs a visitor makes on my site BEFORE invoking the internal search. Does anyone have experience in answering this question using Analytics? 

1 Reply

Community Advisor

Does this need to be "Visitor Level"? Or within a Visit?

If you are looking at Visitor, this could be a very large number because it will include all the visits that the user didn't even perform a search (plus, if the user did multiple searches, I don't know if there is a proper way to only include since the last search, or at least it won't be easy)

In both cases though, this would require a sequential segment.

But there will be variations depending on how you record a "search being made"... if you have an event on an action (search submit form) vs identifying a search by landing on a search results page.... I have both, so I am going to add some extra logic to my example to make sure that the segment does bring back extra data)

VISIT  (Only Before Sequence)

[HIT level Container]

Page Views exists

AND

Page Type (prop/eVar) does not equal search

[Container End]

THEN within 1 hit

Search Performed (event) exists

Essentially, I am looking for any non-search page view followed directly by a "search performed" event, and only looking at traffic with a visit up until this sequence (please note that the Only Before Sequence is a bit odd.. it's not really before it's before and including the sequence)

If you don't have a "Search Performed" event, you should be able to do a modified:

VISIT  (Only Before Sequence)

[HIT level Container]

Page Views exists

AND

Page Type (prop/eVar) does not equal search

[Container End]

THEN within 1 page view

Page Type (prop/eVar) equals search