Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Marketing channels vs. tracking codes: revenue discrepancy

Level 1

Hello,

I have read many articles and posts on the differences between marketing channels and tracking codes, but I am still trying to figure out which report I should be looking at in regards to the revenue. 

If I simply want to know which channels bring in the most revenue would I be looking at marketing channels, and tracking codes if I want to look at how campaigns are performing?

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

The simple answer is not so simple.  Remember that Marketing Channels are entirely based on the RULES you create, so until you sit down and establish the rules you decide you want to control your Marketing Channels, your revenue coming through them could be entirely misleading at best.  Then, you'll want to understand first touch, last touch, etc.

Next, with Tracking Codes, you need to determine how long they are living before they expire, which will help you understand how they are contributing to your campaigns.  Again, you'll want to evaluate First Touch, Last Touch, and you might even have Products and Merchandising terms associated with your campaign, depending how complex and involved your implementation is.  I live in the grocery retail world, so yes, mine is highly complex.

Here's what's important.  Decide FIRST what your goal is.  To determine what channels bring in the most revenue, you must first have very well defined Marketing Channel processing rules.  To have good Campaign tracking, you need to have campaign tracking codes and even better campaign tracking code DISCIPLINE.  I recommend working with companies like Claravine, who really know how to help with these kinds of things.

Another company who is REALLY experienced with all of this is Evolytics.  I have partnered with them since 2016, and they have not steered me wrong yet.  If you need steering on any of these kinds of things, I would HIGHLY recommend speaking to them.  Start with Bethany Hartley and Marc Richard, and they will give you the best advice about all of these things I just mentioned.  Trust me, they are worth every dollar spent.

Jeff Bloomer

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

The simple answer is not so simple.  Remember that Marketing Channels are entirely based on the RULES you create, so until you sit down and establish the rules you decide you want to control your Marketing Channels, your revenue coming through them could be entirely misleading at best.  Then, you'll want to understand first touch, last touch, etc.

Next, with Tracking Codes, you need to determine how long they are living before they expire, which will help you understand how they are contributing to your campaigns.  Again, you'll want to evaluate First Touch, Last Touch, and you might even have Products and Merchandising terms associated with your campaign, depending how complex and involved your implementation is.  I live in the grocery retail world, so yes, mine is highly complex.

Here's what's important.  Decide FIRST what your goal is.  To determine what channels bring in the most revenue, you must first have very well defined Marketing Channel processing rules.  To have good Campaign tracking, you need to have campaign tracking codes and even better campaign tracking code DISCIPLINE.  I recommend working with companies like Claravine, who really know how to help with these kinds of things.

Another company who is REALLY experienced with all of this is Evolytics.  I have partnered with them since 2016, and they have not steered me wrong yet.  If you need steering on any of these kinds of things, I would HIGHLY recommend speaking to them.  Start with Bethany Hartley and Marc Richard, and they will give you the best advice about all of these things I just mentioned.  Trust me, they are worth every dollar spent.

Jeff Bloomer