Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcement: Calling all learners and mentors! Applications are now open for the Adobe Analytics 2024 Mentorship Program! Come learn from the best to prepare for an official certification in Adobe Analytics.
SOLVED

Visitor segments and Last Touch channels - how to get this sorted out?

Level 2

Hello,

I came into a "challenging" problem when using visitor-scope segment and last touch channel dimension. While I think I understand why the results are not correct (well, not the expected one), I would need help to see how to get the results I'm looking for.

The goal:

See what was channel used at conversion time by users who did consume at some point in time a certain type of content vs. total conversions.

My segment definition:

Visitors who

Condition 1) did view page type = X (product page) and product name = Y (for a specific product)
AND
condition 2) who submitted  a specific type of lead (succes eventX and lead type = A or B) for the product Y

Knowing that the conversion and content consumption is can occur in different sessions.

How I built it in AA:

See attached screenshot.

Basically I have made 2 segments - one for each condition blocks. For each block, scope was set at hit to ensure all criteria are met in same tracking call.

I used a VENN visualization with the 2 segments and then create a segment automatically using the intersection.
The results returned by my segment is the same as the VENN diagram.

Anything wrong at this point?

The issue

I created a table with 2 metrics:

Metric1: Visitors + above segment (= visitors who made a lead for product Y and consumed content X for product Y)

Metric 2: Visitors + segment with scope hit and 2nd condition (= all visitors who made a lead for product Y)

Of course metric 2 > metric 1.

So far so good

But now I want to see the last touch channel - used for the conversion. How can I do this?

If I break down by last touch channel - I get metric 1 > metric 2 (which is impossible) - see attachment.

It is like if for metric 1, it takes every occurence of last touch for all visits made by these visitors and sum these (so multiple counts) - it is that as the sum of every line in column 1 is more than the total.

So how to get the channel used at conversion time for column 1?

I hope I managed to explain this correctly in a not too confusing way... Not sure if to do this on a Friday afternoon is a good idea

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor and Adobe Champion

First off I just want to say it’s great you’re using visitor-in-hit segments, they really are useful and not enough people use them. That said, the logic does get very complicated. The way you have yours set up, you’re returning any hit associated with a visitor that does action one and action two (your two visitor containers). But there’s no limit on which hits it will return, it’s going to return EVERY hit from a visitor that meets those conditions. The real usefulness of a visit/visitor in hit segment is being able to limit what you return to something specific.

For your specific question – the channel that was used at conversion. If you put the channel against this segment as is, it’s going to return every marketing channel that they’ve seen at any point. If you want it to be just the marketing channel when an order was placed, you would need to add another condition to your segment. In the main part of the segment (the hit part), add “order exists” (or your relevant metric). Then your segment will return all information related to hits where orders happen, but only if the hit is associated with a visitor that meets the conditions in the two visitor containers.

I actually spoke about visit-in-hit segments at the Analytics Rockstars at Summit back in March. The logic does get a bit complicated. So, if you want to talk more about how to work through the logic of these kinds of segments, I'd be happy to help out.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Community Advisor and Adobe Champion

First off I just want to say it’s great you’re using visitor-in-hit segments, they really are useful and not enough people use them. That said, the logic does get very complicated. The way you have yours set up, you’re returning any hit associated with a visitor that does action one and action two (your two visitor containers). But there’s no limit on which hits it will return, it’s going to return EVERY hit from a visitor that meets those conditions. The real usefulness of a visit/visitor in hit segment is being able to limit what you return to something specific.

For your specific question – the channel that was used at conversion. If you put the channel against this segment as is, it’s going to return every marketing channel that they’ve seen at any point. If you want it to be just the marketing channel when an order was placed, you would need to add another condition to your segment. In the main part of the segment (the hit part), add “order exists” (or your relevant metric). Then your segment will return all information related to hits where orders happen, but only if the hit is associated with a visitor that meets the conditions in the two visitor containers.

I actually spoke about visit-in-hit segments at the Analytics Rockstars at Summit back in March. The logic does get a bit complicated. So, if you want to talk more about how to work through the logic of these kinds of segments, I'd be happy to help out.