Expand my Community achievements bar.

Webinar: Adobe Customer Journey Analytics Product Innovations: A Quarterly Overview. Come learn for the Adobe Analytics Product team who will be covering AJO reporting, Graph-based Stitching, guided analysis for CJA, and more!

Map Old Campaign UTM to New UTM Campaign

Level 1

Hello,

We recently moved over to adobe analytics and we have updated all of our campaign names.  I would like to set up a rule that automatically process the old campaign under the new campaign.

It should be something like this ... If UTM contains "old campaign name" then update it to display as "new campaign". Not sure exactly how to phrase it but you get the idea. 

I have updated our marketing channel processing rules which was not hard ,but I cannot figure out where to update the UTM rules.  We are on the free sku of AA for the time being, hoping that this is still possible as I am learning some functionality is not available with the free version. 

7 Replies

Community Advisor

You can't really retroactively change data in Adobe Analytics (CJA has derived fields which can do on the fly value changes)... There is a "Data Repair" API, but its not free, and this sounds like an ongoing issue...

Your best bet is probably to use Classifications. You can set up classification rules that if you see value "x", set the classification to "y".

There are some caveats though... 

1. Classification process every 4-6 hours, so it's best not to look at "today" since you will see a lot of unprocessed values as unspecified (but if there are problems with your rules, you can update them, and re-run the rules, since the original values are left intact)
  2. If you are using Raw Data feeds (to populate a data lake for instance), classifications are not included in that data (but Workspace, Report Builder and the Adobe Data Warehouse all support classification data)

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/analytics/components/classifications/c-classifications 

Level 1

@Jennifer_Dungan  thanks for the response! I have read the page and watched the video, unfortunately I do not understand how you execute the remapping.  I think I am on the right path here but I am not positive.  Is what I am doing below correct? If so can you help clarify at all? 

I added campaign names under conversion classification. 

Conversion Classification.png

I downloaded the Import file, but I don't understand where I should set up the mapping. Where do I put UTM Campaign Dimension Name and New Campaign Name?

Import File.png

Community Advisor

The "Key" column is where you would put the "old campaign", and the "Campaign Name" would be where you put the "new campaign".

So let's say you have a campaign which is "x" and you want it to be "y", this is pretty simple...

Keep in mind that the classification importer is based on exact match... so if you have "set values" along with variable data, the importer may not be in your best interest...

For instance, let's say you have "medium_source_campaign", and your new format is maybe "source_medium_campaign", you are taking the same values, and just moving them around... the Classification Rule Builder might be a better option....

You can use Regex rules there...

So "medium" should be a fairly structure and smaller list of options (let's say "email", "social", "affiliate" and "qrcode" for example)... 

You could create regex rules like:

^(email|social|affiliate|qrcode)_(.*)_(.*)$

Notice I the use of the ( and ) to create groups... so if group 1 matches the 4 known mediums, then I would set the rule to set the classification to $2_$1_$3 (swapping the positions of 1 and 2)

I don't know what sort of mapping changes you need to make, so these are generic suggestions at this time... 

Level 1

Thanks for getting back to me @Jennifer_Dungan.  Yesterday, I tried to upload the changes, but did not have much luck.  I tested this in the dev environment created a few dev links with the old campaign names, but today I am still not seeing any data.  Any suggestions? 

ab11726_0-1722950806897.png

Community Advisor

Hi @ab11726 ,

Those Keys match exactly the data you are getting? Same use of spaces, etc?

Level 5

Hi @ab11726 ,

What Jen has stated below is definitely the best way to change the old data.

Additionally, if you want to overwrite original value or update another eVar with new value, you can also utilize processing rules. The caveat here being - you need to have a defined list and this would need to be updated if there are any more changes. Sample rule may look like -

Community Advisor

In addition to Processing Rules, you could also use Launch custom code to make changes to values as well.

Processing Rules are good for simple changes, but if you need more complex logic, making the changes using JavaScript gives you a lot more flexibility (depending on complexity)