Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Locking columns to allow new row items to be visualised in the future

Level 2

Hi,

I've got a table that shows a breakdown of campaign names (multiple rows) by entries, bounce rate & conversion rate (3 columns).

I'd like to visualise the Entries column as a donut chart and bounce & conversion rates as a bar chart with dual axis.

My challenge is that if I lock the data, as more campaigns are added (and there will be many more added), the visualisations will not include the new entries because of the lock and we don't just want to display top 3 but we'd like to visualise them all. Do you have any suggestions how to vuild these visualisations in a way that's future-proof?

Cheers,

M

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear MichaelPB,

You need to perform a hack for this.

A doughnut chart will look good if we can always limit the maximum line items i.e Say 9 items and all other together shown as others, so total 10.

1. First, drag and drop any dimension which has 400 line items (Maximum we can do).

2. Now select all 400 items and create a doughnut with limit line items to 9. So that you will see top 9 and then all others dimension as'Others'.

3. Then, replace the diemension by your campaign dimension. So in future even if a new line item is added, it will be apended automatically until 400 line items (Maximum we can do).

I know it is not upfront method but we need to live based on this for now.

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B | Xerago | Terryn Winter Analytics 

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 7

@MichaelPB There are 2 options available for Lock Selection :-

a) Selected Positions
b) Selected Items

If you use Selected Positions than it will show the values coming at those positions (eg- if you selected 1st, 3rd and 5th position than any value at those position will come in visualization).

If you use Selected Items than it will show only those particular values which have been selected in the table irrespective of their rank in table.

If you want to visualize all than either you do not use Lock Selection method or you need to lock all positions.

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/data-workbench/using/dashboard/visualizations/manipulating-v...

Level 2

@amgup thanks a lot for getting back to me, really appreciate it.

Do you know if there's a way of not using the lock if I'd only like to use 2 out of 3 columns for my chart? 

My challenge is that if I use the lock, in the future, as more campaigns are added to the table (e.g. they grow from 3 to 10), they won't be visible regardless of which lock option I use.

However, if I don't use a lock, I'm not sure if I can create a visualisation that uses just those 2 columns?

I guess the only option would be to split the table into 2 (one for each viz). If I then do not lock the data, can I trust that any new rows that will appear in my table will then also start appearing in the visualisation (as long as I don't limit number of items per vizualisation)?

Thanks again,
M

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear MichaelPB,

You need to perform a hack for this.

A doughnut chart will look good if we can always limit the maximum line items i.e Say 9 items and all other together shown as others, so total 10.

1. First, drag and drop any dimension which has 400 line items (Maximum we can do).

2. Now select all 400 items and create a doughnut with limit line items to 9. So that you will see top 9 and then all others dimension as'Others'.

3. Then, replace the diemension by your campaign dimension. So in future even if a new line item is added, it will be apended automatically until 400 line items (Maximum we can do).

I know it is not upfront method but we need to live based on this for now.

Community Advisor

Dear MichaelPB,

If your have got the answer for your question, can you mark the relevant answer as 'CORRECT' so that it will be helpful for everyone? Much appreciate.

Level 2

Great, have done, thanks again, much appreciated!