Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

List var vs list prop?!

Level 3

Hello!

So, I need to tag a screen that gives the user multiple choices to help them choose an insurance product (a help me choose function). One of them is a whole list of radio button options that they might or might not choose which are individual elements of particular insurance products...I want to capture which ones are picked. I also need to be able to tell if the customer then went on to purchase the insurance product they will be presented with after using the help me choose function.

List prop or list var?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 8

Hi, @clairea39507456  -

What are the business questions you'll need to answer with the data? Understanding how you hope to use the information will go a long way toward determining which variable type is most relevant. 

For example, if the question you need to answer is something along the lines of "which help me choose options, when selected, lead to the most insurance applications/purchases?", I'd definitely go with a listVar (recent/visit config). With that, you can easily analyze the # of times an option is selected vs the number of transactions that follow.

If the question is simply, "which help me choose options are selected the most frequently?", I'd suggest a listProp.

Another consideration is the character limitations of the different variable types. listProps, for example, have a 100 byte (character) limit for the whole string, delimiter's included. Passing "one,two" counts for seven (7) characters. If each option you pass is a relatively long string, and you wind up with greater than 100 characters, you'll lose data due to truncation beginning at character 101+. A listVar, on the other hand, has a 255 character limit for each item you pass. Continuing with the "one,two" example, a listVar sees that as two strings of three (3) characters each. The possibility of truncated data is significantly lower as a result.

Finally, at present, the limit of three (3) listVars may also be a consideration if other competing priorities are better suited for using one of them.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Employee

If you would like to persist the options users choose through out the visit or purchase please use listvar otherwise you can use listprop.

Correct answer by
Level 8

Hi, @clairea39507456  -

What are the business questions you'll need to answer with the data? Understanding how you hope to use the information will go a long way toward determining which variable type is most relevant. 

For example, if the question you need to answer is something along the lines of "which help me choose options, when selected, lead to the most insurance applications/purchases?", I'd definitely go with a listVar (recent/visit config). With that, you can easily analyze the # of times an option is selected vs the number of transactions that follow.

If the question is simply, "which help me choose options are selected the most frequently?", I'd suggest a listProp.

Another consideration is the character limitations of the different variable types. listProps, for example, have a 100 byte (character) limit for the whole string, delimiter's included. Passing "one,two" counts for seven (7) characters. If each option you pass is a relatively long string, and you wind up with greater than 100 characters, you'll lose data due to truncation beginning at character 101+. A listVar, on the other hand, has a 255 character limit for each item you pass. Continuing with the "one,two" example, a listVar sees that as two strings of three (3) characters each. The possibility of truncated data is significantly lower as a result.

Finally, at present, the limit of three (3) listVars may also be a consideration if other competing priorities are better suited for using one of them.

Level 1

Since there are only 3 list vars, you have probably already used them.  One should probably not be used for this.

I would go with a prop and be prepared to use segments (as needed) to answer the question of if the selection changes the success event frequency.  

If you have a set of codes for the options, you can send multiple in the same call with the delimiter and still stay under 100 characters.  You will have to be careful of the length of each option.

Community Advisor

Dear Clairea,

eVar only, not prop.

If you use Prop, then you just need to create multiple segments and flow charts based on your requirement.

But, rather List Var, I would go with normal eVar to capture the line items as A|B|C|D (Any delimiter) and use Classification Rule Builder to segregate the same into individual line items so that purchase event and other events would-be attributed directly. But the total length of the eVar should be lesser than or equal to 255 char bytes and if you use List Var, then every delimited character can be 255 char bytes. The choice is yours!

Thank you, Arun.

Level 10
Do any of the answers below answer your initial question? If so, can you select one of them as the correct answer? If none of the answers already provided answer your question, can you provide additional information to better help the community solve your question?