Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Issue with list variables allocation in the reporting

Level 1

We have enabled below configurations for list variables in our Report suite 

Configuration:

List Variable = Product Type

Delimiter =  ;

Allocation = Full

Values in logs:

eVar Values populated in logs = Product1;Product2;Product3

Reports:(Problem statement)

when pulling the reports for this dimension, we are are not getting the product values allocated separately when tying to key metrics.

Current reports 

eVarX                                         |  Unique Visitors  | Visits

Product1;Product2;Product3  |           1               |    1

Expected reports 

eVarX                                         |  Unique Visitors  | Visits

Product1                                   |           1               |    1

Product2                                   |           1               |    1

Product3                                   |           1               |    1

Please let me know if this expected report is feasible with the current configuration or do we need to change anything with the list var allocation, maybe changing it to "linear" allocation as such.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

And to be clear, the report/dimension that the data looks wrong in is the listvariable, not an evar. Right? Because you mention eVarX below but it should actually be listX.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Employee Advisor

It does sound like you've got everything set up correctly. Would it be possible to share a screenshot of the admin console settings? Also, if you can share it, a link to a page with the tags live?

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

And to be clear, the report/dimension that the data looks wrong in is the listvariable, not an evar. Right? Because you mention eVarX below but it should actually be listX.

Level 1
That might be the issue. But we don't see the listX populated in the reports. Might be because in the logs, as I mentioned the values are eVarX instead of listX. Is that the reason ?

Employee Advisor
Are you sure that the tag(s) are sending data to listX? Using Javascript, it'd be s.list1="product1;product2;product3". Can you share a screenshot of the tag being fired?

Level 7

@nischithd  Can you check for any whitespace character while you are sending this string in beacon ? There should not be any space between values and delimiter in the listvars.

Level 1
Got it. Yes, did make sure there isn't any whitespace character. The reason might be we are not sending this variable as s.listX.

Employee Advisor

@nischithd It looks correct to me. Have you tried checking the values in the List Var report and not an evar report?

Employee Advisor

And as @EricMatisoff mentioned, you will need to populate the value in s.list1 or s.list2 or s.list3 variable depending on the List Variable used, and not s.evarX.

Level 1
This makes total sense now. So the variables the should be populated are s.listX. In Launch, I don't see "set variables" section has listVar. Maybe that needs to be configured in custom code section

Employee Advisor

That's right, in Launch, you'll need to use the Custom Code piece of Set Variables in order to send data to listvars. 

ericmatisoff_0-1625236054100.png

Also, as a reminder, if you're sending data to a listvar on a link (Custom/Exit/Download), you'll also need to add the listvar to linkTrackVars.

Level 1
Yes, that's perfect. Will add linkTrackVars too. Was trying to push the same code in Launch. Thanks a bunch for the great help @EricMatisoff