Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Is this a good use case for eVars?

Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have an app where a user can select some number of widgets, and then act on those widgets. I'd like to be able to report on number of widgets people are acting on. Should I set an eVar with the number of widgets selected, and then fire off an event to track the action? Is the event necessary?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 5

Hi,

You won't need an event to see data populated to en eVar.

But depending on what you need to see, you have a few different options.

1) Just a total of all widgets - use en event (eventX=8 for example, if 8 widgets was seen/used at the same time)

2) A row of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc... use the eVar as you said

You can of cause also do both

Hope this makes sense?

/Løjmann

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 5

Hi,

You won't need an event to see data populated to en eVar.

But depending on what you need to see, you have a few different options.

1) Just a total of all widgets - use en event (eventX=8 for example, if 8 widgets was seen/used at the same time)

2) A row of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc... use the eVar as you said

You can of cause also do both

Hope this makes sense?

/Løjmann

Level 1

Thanks Løjmann. Can you confirm that if I set an eVar I I'll need to s.tl() or s.t() for it to be recorded?

Level 5

Yes, the s.tl() function are a link-tracking call (not incrementing page view) and s.t() is a page-view tracking call (incrementing the page view metric).

/Løjmann