Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Is it good practice to collect AppMeasurement code version and why

Level 4

We currently track AppMeasurement code version from our website visitors; e.g. 2.22.0, 2.23.0, etc. Is it good practice to collect this data and if so, what is it useful for? I'm considering stopping them from being collected. Please advise.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I am sure if you ask a million different people you will get a million different answers to this question...

Me personally, no I don't track that.... I've never had a reason to go back and check the version... but if I did, there is a clear log of updates in Adobe Launch that I could check if I really needed that info.... So given that question has never come up for us, tracking something that we aren't using doesn't seem like its worth taking up a dimension for.

However, before you remove anything, you should do your due diligence in checking with your team to be sure that this isn't being used by someone.

Though, if this is being used by a Data Lake (using raw data exports), then there seems to be a field called "code_ver" which according to the documentation is "AppMeasurement Library version used to compile and send the image request." So the information is technically available (without using up your own custom dimensions)... but only in raw data; not in Workspace or Data Warehouse

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I am sure if you ask a million different people you will get a million different answers to this question...

Me personally, no I don't track that.... I've never had a reason to go back and check the version... but if I did, there is a clear log of updates in Adobe Launch that I could check if I really needed that info.... So given that question has never come up for us, tracking something that we aren't using doesn't seem like its worth taking up a dimension for.

However, before you remove anything, you should do your due diligence in checking with your team to be sure that this isn't being used by someone.

Though, if this is being used by a Data Lake (using raw data exports), then there seems to be a field called "code_ver" which according to the documentation is "AppMeasurement Library version used to compile and send the image request." So the information is technically available (without using up your own custom dimensions)... but only in raw data; not in Workspace or Data Warehouse

Level 10

We track the code versions. Ideally, all pages would have the same code version. We have multiple sites in a single report suite and they are not all updated at the same time. And in practice, some pages on a given site always get left behind for both good and (mostly) bad reasons.

When starting to debug an issue at a high level, the Adobe code version helps us see if the issue correlated to a code version. 

We append to code version to the server variable and classify the variable into servers and code versions.