Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Implement the ECID Service with Analytics legacy AppMeasurement JS

Level 2

I need to have legacy appMeasurement JS for 1 of the site section w/o launch, whereas rest of the sections have Launch+Analytics+ID services ext. Has anyone come across this, will combo of ID services v4.4 works with legacy appmeasurement v2.22.4? your experience or any advise would be greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hehehe

It should be getting stitched, provided you are calling the visitor id service correctly with the visitor ID code...  

I have a subdomain that I cannot add launch to, I am using AppMeasurement.js implementation with the Visitor ID service.. users move from the main site (using launch) to the subdomain (using AppMeasurement and VisitorAPI) then back to the main domain... The users are all maintaining the ECID throughout this journey, so I know this is possible....

The ECID is being set by the service, not the code... even if the versions are slightly off....  even to complicate matters... I have three domains going through the same single subdomain (they didn't want to provision out a separate instances) - so the majority of the flows stay on the same domain root - meaning shared cookies and the ECID that is already set can be read - but the other two lower traffic flows may need to set the ECID again when moving from domain A to B, but it's still setting the correct values.... and stitching the user together so that I can see their journey.

Note: I am using a global tracking suite for ALL the mentioned domains... so same org id and same suite.... 

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Community Advisor

Yes, before we implemented Adobe Launch we were using the Legacy AppMeasurement.js solution (we skipped DTM complete), and we were using the ECID at that time.

The ECID library is part of a separate code file that (VisitorAPI.js) that needs to be added in a a specific order with the AppMeasurement in order for it to work properly... or you can do what we did... take all that VisitorAPI JS and add it to the top of your AppMeasurement.js file. Hopefully there is still an implementation guide out there, if not, I can try and remember some of what we did on this (we still have a few sites running like this that I can look at)

Level 2

Thank you Jennifer. I just remembered recent webinar on implementation documentation of you & your colleague as 00x agent, ha ha.

Just legacy appmeasurement worked absolutely fine on new site section, but vistor ID not getting stitched together when navigated through other sections of mysite, so hoping it will get unified if ECID services can set/re-use before app measurement JS executes. These are the versions am referring to services v4.4 & legacy appmeasurement v2.22.4 

Appreciate your response on this.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hehehe

It should be getting stitched, provided you are calling the visitor id service correctly with the visitor ID code...  

I have a subdomain that I cannot add launch to, I am using AppMeasurement.js implementation with the Visitor ID service.. users move from the main site (using launch) to the subdomain (using AppMeasurement and VisitorAPI) then back to the main domain... The users are all maintaining the ECID throughout this journey, so I know this is possible....

The ECID is being set by the service, not the code... even if the versions are slightly off....  even to complicate matters... I have three domains going through the same single subdomain (they didn't want to provision out a separate instances) - so the majority of the flows stay on the same domain root - meaning shared cookies and the ECID that is already set can be read - but the other two lower traffic flows may need to set the ECID again when moving from domain A to B, but it's still setting the correct values.... and stitching the user together so that I can see their journey.

Note: I am using a global tracking suite for ALL the mentioned domains... so same org id and same suite.... 

Community Advisor

Verify that the Adobe organisation ID that is specified in your ECID code is correct across all domains.

Also, when you say "other sections of mysite", are those other sections still under the same parent domain as mysite? ECID is ultimately cookie-based, and cookies are determined by the hostname.

Level 2

"other sections of mysite", are those other sections still under the same parent domain as mysite? YES; same domian as well. Thanks a lot

Community Advisor

And that's interesting.... the same domain should be reading the existing cookie value (rather than re-setting it)

Community Advisor

Even with it being cookie based... Adobe does a remarkable job of setting the same value across domains... I've tested over and over again... I can go to any of our 30+ domains on different browsers, using incognito, etc, and within that browser/context, no matter what site I visit, I get the same ID... Other team members get that same behaviour...

Community Advisor

Are you able to share the website where this is happening?