Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Hi - What is the correct expiration for article eVars - hit?

Level 2

Thank you Jennifer.  That makes perfect sense.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

There is no "correct" or "incorrect" value as a general rule.... it all depends on how you are using your eVars and what you are trying to achieve - this is exactly why you are given the option to choose the expiry to fit your needs.

If you are trying to replicate the behaviour of a Prop (set the value, then forget about it), then use "Hit"

If you are trying to track some campaign type data, you may want to maintain that for the Visit, OR for a Week, or maybe until your Conversion Event is fired..... (you can also use custom attribution in Workspace to get a different retention policy from your default)... 

You say "Article eVars" but that in itself is so wide spread... are you trying to just track some information about the article when the article is read? Are you trying to create an association between the last Article read and a user subscribing?

Right now, with no context about what you are trying to do, there is no way that we can advise you on what expiry to use.....

I am thinking that you might be looking for "Hit"... as in, tracking the Article as it's read... but again, I'm guessing at this time.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

There is no "correct" or "incorrect" value as a general rule.... it all depends on how you are using your eVars and what you are trying to achieve - this is exactly why you are given the option to choose the expiry to fit your needs.

If you are trying to replicate the behaviour of a Prop (set the value, then forget about it), then use "Hit"

If you are trying to track some campaign type data, you may want to maintain that for the Visit, OR for a Week, or maybe until your Conversion Event is fired..... (you can also use custom attribution in Workspace to get a different retention policy from your default)... 

You say "Article eVars" but that in itself is so wide spread... are you trying to just track some information about the article when the article is read? Are you trying to create an association between the last Article read and a user subscribing?

Right now, with no context about what you are trying to do, there is no way that we can advise you on what expiry to use.....

I am thinking that you might be looking for "Hit"... as in, tracking the Article as it's read... but again, I'm guessing at this time.

Community Advisor

As @Jennifer_Dungan mentioned, there is no "correct" or not for expiry for eVar. It all depends on your design. For my case, I usually have a custom event associated with each eVar, the most natural expiry for eVar is with that event.

In the old days, this expiry is important for the attribution of different factors captured as eVar to success event. However, Adobe had made the custom attribution in the Workspace more and more powerful, https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/analyze/analysis-workspace/attribution/overview.ht... the expiry setup of eVar is getting less important.