Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

If I upload a classification file with no or blank values will it affect existing values in adobe analytics?

Level 3

For example imagine If I upload  the below data under product classification with "product id" being the key value in adobe analytics. 

product id        product name       product category

xyz                  iphone                   mobile

After few days I upload another classification file with with same product id but with empty or no value under product name and select "overwrite existing value" while uploading classification file

product id    product name          product category

xyz               

What output can i expect in adobe analytics report? Will it be 

xyz                  iphone                   mobile       

or

xyz       

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I don't actually use the classification importer, but it seems like if you did such a thing, this would result in two conflicting rules...  but I don't know how what the final result would be....

Out of curiosity, is it your intention to "overwrite" or "delete" the original mapping? If so, you might want to look at https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/components/classifications/classifications-importe... where you would actually pass ~empty~ or ~deletekey~ to clear out an existing classification.

If the empty keys were done in error... you should consider exporting your rule set to see if you have conflicting classifications.. and may want to run a removal using the correct method to get rid of the conflicts, then re-import the correct rules.....

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I don't actually use the classification importer, but it seems like if you did such a thing, this would result in two conflicting rules...  but I don't know how what the final result would be....

Out of curiosity, is it your intention to "overwrite" or "delete" the original mapping? If so, you might want to look at https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/components/classifications/classifications-importe... where you would actually pass ~empty~ or ~deletekey~ to clear out an existing classification.

If the empty keys were done in error... you should consider exporting your rule set to see if you have conflicting classifications.. and may want to run a removal using the correct method to get rid of the conflicts, then re-import the correct rules.....

Community Advisor

You don't get 2 conflicting rules, because Classification Importer lets you import mappings of keys to classifications. So you're really overwriting the existing classification.

Community Advisor

The thing is.. empty or null values aren't technically valid values.. I don't know if the system will handle that as an import... to clear a value you are supposed to pass a literal "~empty~"

Community Advisor

Instead of pondering the outcome, your best bet is to upload a corrected set of classifications promptly, then let AA use that in its reports.

Unless you're asking out of curiosity.  In that case, I believe you'll end up with reports using the blank values.

Level 1

I had this same questions, so I tested it out. In short, any blank value in a classification import will not overwrite an existing value. 

Step 1

I uploaded 2 classification values for a single key. 

KeyColorSize
A001BlueBig

After the upload processed you could see these classification dimension values as expected. 

Step 2

I uploaded a new file where Color changed but Size was blank.

KeyColorSize
A001Green 

The final result was 

KeyColorSize
A001GreenBig

Which proved that empty fields do not overwrite existing classification values. Only fields with a value will overwrite an existing classification value.