Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

I'm not seeing Windows 11 in my Operating Systems Report

Level 2

Hi,

I'm not seeing Windows 11 in my OS Report but this version has been out since October of last year.  Does it show up as Windows 10 in the report?  If so, when will Adobe parse out Windows 11 as a distinct OS?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi @akma1991 ,

Until Windows 10, all the Windows OS was detectable using User Agent Strings. Windows 11 onwards, we need to know Client Hints. Although we can distinguish Windows 10 and 11 based on User Agent Client Hints (UA-CH), most of the browsers are incompatible with UA-CH as of now. 

Details here.

Adobe Engineering unit is aware of this issue. Hopefully we will have a resolution soon. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Level 2

Also, I checked in the operating_systems.tsv file associated with the clickstream data and do not see an entry for Windows 11.

Community Advisor

I found this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/web-platform/how-to-detect-win11

Adobe currently uses User Agent strings to identify browsers. As per the above:

User-Agent strings won't be updated to differentiate between Windows 11 and Windows 10. We don't recommend using User-Agent strings to retrieve user agent data. Browsers that don't support User-Agent Client Hints won't be able to differentiate between Windows 11 and Windows 10.

Looks like we will either have to create our own code temporarily to detect the browser (which also won't go into the standard browser dimensions), or wait for Analytics tools like Adobe, GA, and everything else in the world to update their detection methods (since windows has decided to get "fancy"....)

Level 2

Yes, I read that article as well and was hoping Adobe would have had a solution in place.

Community Advisor

Hopefully soon... but given this is an infrastructure change, I have a feeling we may have to wait a bit for this to roll out

Community Advisor

Bring this up with Client Care so that they can take it up with the Engineering team.

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi @akma1991 ,

Until Windows 10, all the Windows OS was detectable using User Agent Strings. Windows 11 onwards, we need to know Client Hints. Although we can distinguish Windows 10 and 11 based on User Agent Client Hints (UA-CH), most of the browsers are incompatible with UA-CH as of now. 

Details here.

Adobe Engineering unit is aware of this issue. Hopefully we will have a resolution soon. 

Community Advisor

Exactly, this is going to be a challenge for everyone for a while... the "joys" of new technologies.