Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

How to set up alerts for any page with more than N daily visits?

Level 2

Hi, I’m trying to set up alerts for any pages of the site that experience a spike in traffic. I have implemented some spam filters in VRS. But I noticed that some pages are still occasionally getting spikes in traffic and I would like to be alerted when this happens so that I can check if it’s due to spam.

I’m currently only able to set up alert based on the total number of visits for the entire site or painstakingly filter each page to alert when greater than N visits. The total number of visits for the entire site doesn’t work for me as the spike in a particular page will not result in a significant anomaly for the entire site traffic. 

Wondering if anyone could share how you might set up alert for such scenario? TIA!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

OK, I was afraid of that... can I ask what type of site this is? If it's something like what I have to deal with (newspaper) new pages are created all the time (for each article) so this would be virtually impossible for me to do...

I'm still trying to think of ways to try and get something that mostly gets what you want... but I'm not sure if I will be successful....

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi,

I definitely think the challenge here will be to try and detect spikes on a per page basis.... What about by something like Page Type, or is that too generic?

Are you trying to run the alert daily? Hourly? Weekly?

Level 2

I’m looking at daily alerts so that I can check the page. If it’s spam traffic, I will have adequate time to fine tune the spam filter in VRS to get ready for the next monthly reporting. 

Yes the challenge is to detect spikes by per page basis. Page Type is too generic as it will be a total for the page type and spike in a particular page is likely insignificant against the overall traffic. 

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

OK, I was afraid of that... can I ask what type of site this is? If it's something like what I have to deal with (newspaper) new pages are created all the time (for each article) so this would be virtually impossible for me to do...

I'm still trying to think of ways to try and get something that mostly gets what you want... but I'm not sure if I will be successful....