Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

How do you create a segment for exit page?

Level 2

Hi there, I'd like to create a segment that shows me only pages which were the last pages (i.e. exit pages) in a given visit. I can apply the Exit metric to the Pages report, but the Exit metric is not available when creating a segment. How can I do this?

Many thanks for any help!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 5

Exit pages have a visit breakdown scope, meaning they persist across all hits for a visit.
Hence, a hit level segment for "exit page" would behave like a visit level segment & we can't have a segment that exclusively separates out exit pages.

Regards,
Saurabh Kumar.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 10

Have you tried to build a segment as "Exit Page exists"?

Level 2

Hi thanks for your reply. Yes that's actually exactly what I tried (should have mentioned that), but such a segment (Hit based) doesn't filter out anything. I was playing around some more with this and am able to do the reverse (Entry pages) by using "Hit depth = 1". But there is no way that I know to set "Hit depth = last page" or something equivalent.

Correct answer by
Level 5

Exit pages have a visit breakdown scope, meaning they persist across all hits for a visit.
Hence, a hit level segment for "exit page" would behave like a visit level segment & we can't have a segment that exclusively separates out exit pages.

Regards,
Saurabh Kumar.

Level 2

Hi Saurabh, that makes a lot of sense and explains why the segment doesn't filter out anything, since every Visit has an exit page. However, we still have an event called "Exit" that takes place on a page. After all, I can look at a page and apply the metric "Exit", which is different from looking at an Exit Pages report. I feel that even the documentation confuses things (see here: https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/reference/metrics_exits.html). They define an Exit as "The number of times a given value is captured as the last value in a visit." But the very next sentence is "Exit pages have a visit breakdown scope" (as you said) which muddles things because now they're talking about Exit Pages, not Exits the metric. "Exit Page" is not a metric.

So an Exit doesn't have to be associated with a page, but with "any given value." Given that, I would expect to be able to create a Hit level segment with the Exit metric set to greater than 0. This I could apply to any dimension like I would the Exit metric itself. 

Anyhow, thanks for your answer, much appreciated. Learned something new today :)