Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How do I track pdf downloads in Adobe Analytics?!

Level 1

Hi Community,

Q/ I have a dropdown to choose a PDF in multiple languages (30) to download. How can I track the individual metric of each PDF?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Adobe's normal "download" functionality is based on checking link clicks that contain known file extensions (i.e. .pdf). However, depending on your implementation, this may not work... if the dropdown triggers the appearance of a link to the correct file, that users can click on... this should be picked up by the default file download tracking...

However, IF the dropdown itself is coded, and the selection from the drop down starts a download, you will need to work with your developers to trigger a custom tracking call. Generally, this will use a custom event that you can create a listener for in Adobe Launch, or if you are using the Adobe Data Layer, you should be able to create a rule based on that....

Based on your implementation, you will need to determine what information you want to track and create a rule specifically for this (set your variables as you would on any call), and use s.tl beacon, choosing "Download Link" instead of the normal "Custom Link"

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1662584863779.png

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Adobe's normal "download" functionality is based on checking link clicks that contain known file extensions (i.e. .pdf). However, depending on your implementation, this may not work... if the dropdown triggers the appearance of a link to the correct file, that users can click on... this should be picked up by the default file download tracking...

However, IF the dropdown itself is coded, and the selection from the drop down starts a download, you will need to work with your developers to trigger a custom tracking call. Generally, this will use a custom event that you can create a listener for in Adobe Launch, or if you are using the Adobe Data Layer, you should be able to create a rule based on that....

Based on your implementation, you will need to determine what information you want to track and create a rule specifically for this (set your variables as you would on any call), and use s.tl beacon, choosing "Download Link" instead of the normal "Custom Link"

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1662584863779.png

Community Advisor

Hi Francis,

The metric that I use is this:

Benjienen_0-1662747163304.png

But as Jen has pointed out, some may not be trackable, as an example I have this as the top:

Benjienen_1-1662747232090.png