Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Helping with "TRACKING-SERVER" and "SECURE-TRACKING-SERVER"

Level 1

Good day, we are developers and we got task from our client to install Omniture analytics. We don't have access to cloud manager.

1) Question about parameter "TRACKING-SERVER"

There are 3 servers:

s.trackingServer="jexnerinc.112.2o7.net";

s.trackingServer="janexnerinc.d1.sc.omtrdc.net";

s.trackingServer="om.jan-exner.de";

Can we choose anyone or they have differences?

2) Question about parameter "SECURE-TRACKING-SERVER"

We don't know about using ssl in project, should we write in it?  How can we  know it?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

trackingServer is important in two ways:

- That you're sending data to the right location
- That visitor ID cookies are stored in the right place

I'd recommend reading this article, which helps you understand how to populate trackingServer: https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/kb/en_US/analytics/kb/determining-data-center.html

If you're implementing code for Jan Exner's site, all of those ultimately end up at the same place. Personally I'd prefer using the first party domain if you're implementing code on jan-exner.de.

However if those are domains you got from like a blog post or something, then those are definitely not the domains you want to use. Instead, the above KB article will tell you what it is best defined as. Consistency is most important, as visitors under different trackingServers are treated as different unique visitors, even if they're on the same computer.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

trackingServer is important in two ways:

- That you're sending data to the right location
- That visitor ID cookies are stored in the right place

I'd recommend reading this article, which helps you understand how to populate trackingServer: https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/kb/en_US/analytics/kb/determining-data-center.html

If you're implementing code for Jan Exner's site, all of those ultimately end up at the same place. Personally I'd prefer using the first party domain if you're implementing code on jan-exner.de.

However if those are domains you got from like a blog post or something, then those are definitely not the domains you want to use. Instead, the above KB article will tell you what it is best defined as. Consistency is most important, as visitors under different trackingServers are treated as different unique visitors, even if they're on the same computer.