Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Global Report Suite Marketing Channel Rules Configuration

Level 2

We have been using a global report suite for over a year now and our marketing department is looking to leverage the marketing channels within this report suite.  When we first set this up the logic was to replicate the marketing channel processing rules for all report suites involved (Report suite A, B, and C all have the same functionality and roll into global report suite D).  The issue we are seeing is a lot of referring domains in the global report suite connected to the metrics we are hoping to leverage.  I looked back at the marketing channel rules best practices and we are following the the most up to date setup while leveraging the override last touch attribution for direct and internal marketing channels for report suites A, B, C, and D.  I also checked the internal URL filters for each report suite, report suite A has the same setup as report suite D.   Report suite B and C have their own configurations. 

Example 1:  A user clicks on an email that brings them to site A where they fill out a form and have three page views in the process before clicking a CTA that sends them to site B.  On site B three more page views occur and an order is placed. 

Example 2: A user fills out a form and has three page views then exits.  They come back three days later via SEO and click the CTA that sends them to site B.  They preform three more page views and place an order.

With the current setup, how can I tell the original referrer for these orders in the global report suite?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

When you said

All three of these websites are connected to global report suite D.

Did you mean that report suite D is a:

I think how report suite D has been setup is key to answering your original question. I have a feeling that you're using Multi-Suite tagging, that means, from Website A, you're sending one AA beacon that has 2 report suite IDs specified in it, one for report suite A and one for report suite D.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Community Advisor

Could you clarify your report suite setup again?

It sounds to me that your setup is like this:

Website A --> sends 2 beacons, one to report suite A and another to report suite D

Website B --> sends 2 beacons, one to report suite B and another to report suite D

Website C --> sends 2 beacons, one to report suite C and another to report suite D

Level 2

Website A - internal URL filters have multiple domains and subdomains

Website B - internal URL filter is just the site domain

Website C - internal URL filters are the site domain and subdomains

All three of these websites are connected to global report suite D.  The Marketing channels are setup similarly for website A, B, C, and global report suite D.  The processing order from top to bottom for these is Paid search, Email, Display, Social Media, SEO, Direct, Referring Domains, Internal, and Other Sources.  The Override last-touch is unchecked for direct and internal marketing channels.

We are seeing a lot of referring domains as the marketing channel connected to our KPIs when using the global report suite D reporting.  We would like to see the original marketing channel connected to a visit in our global report suite D if a user goes to website A via email, preforms an action, clicks on a button that sends them to website B, preforms an action.

Based on the marketing channels and internal URL filters, where should we be making adjustments?

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

When you said

All three of these websites are connected to global report suite D.

Did you mean that report suite D is a:

I think how report suite D has been setup is key to answering your original question. I have a feeling that you're using Multi-Suite tagging, that means, from Website A, you're sending one AA beacon that has 2 report suite IDs specified in it, one for report suite A and one for report suite D.

Level 2

We are using multi-site tagging.  Website A, B, and C are all sending secondary server calls to global report suite D.  

Community Advisor

@talkmntome , I think the report suite type for report suite D answers your question.

The Marketing Channel configurations for report suites A, B, C, and D are independent of one another. So report suite D is "not aware" that websites B and C are "internal" to your organisation (if I understand your setup from your original post correctly). As a result, when report suite D tracks traffic that goes from B > A or C > A or even B > C or C > B, it will regard websites B and C as referrers in report suite D.

Have you set websites B and C as internal URLs in report suite D? Setting them as so causes the report suite D's "Referring Domains" Marketing Channel to disregard websites B and C, if you're using Adobe Analytics' default configuration for that Marketing Channel. Instead, those hits would be attributed to "Internal".

Level 2

We have set website A, B, and C domains as part of the internal URL filters for global report suite D.  And with the override last-touch channel currently being unchecked on the internal marketing channel it would make sense that these visit would fall to referring domain as the marketing channel.

What would be the best approach for the marketing channel setup and the internal URL filters for global report suite D going forward?  Should we un-check the box to override last-touch channel for the referring domain marketing channel? Should we update our internal URL filters?  Should I move the hierarchy of the internal channel lower down in the processing rules? 

Thanks for your help with this. 

Community Advisor

Everything you've done for report suite D's Marketing Channels sounds correct.

Just to verify: This is how you've setup the Marketing Channel Processing Rule for your "Referring Domains", right?

yuhuisg_0-1636118628653.png

Level 2

Here is what we have set for referring domain currently in global report suite D

talkmntome_0-1636120631653.png

Community Advisor

Try adding the condition "Is First Page of Visit", like what's shown in my screenshot. I believe that is also in Adobe's default Marketing Channel configuration.

Level 2

Should we reset the marketing channel expiration window as well?  It is currently set for 30 days

Community Advisor

Yes, resetting the expiration might be a good idea. But you also have to remember that this resets all of your Marketing Channels' expirations, including Paid Search, Natural Search, Social, etc. So consider that properly.