Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Full Path with Orders

Level 1

Is it possible to look at the full path in which an order was placed (rather than showing the visit).  I have already created a segment to show only those that have an order greater than zero but I would like orders to be my metric on the path report, is that possible?

Thanks - Tyler

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 6

There is a way but not for data already collected.

first you need to create 2 new variables.

1) using the s.getVisitNum plugin for day get the 'daily session number' that can go into a prop or evar (you record this on every server call you make)

s.eVarxx=s.getVisitNum('d');

2) using a counter evar you increment it once for every server call you make during the daily session number. since this expires at the end of the visit it will reset automatically at the visit close.

s.eVarYY="+1";

make sure that eVarYY is included in all your s.linkTrackVars variables so that it's tracked on all calls and make sure that before all s.t() and s.tl() calls you increment it to keep the running count.

Then you can setup your segment visit segment where the 'order' happened.

include visitorid, dates, product, those 2 new variables.

when you get your data warehouse request you sort first by visitorid, then by daily session number (the s.getVisitNum value) then by the counter evar and the customers journey through your site is now in order by server call.

This really only works for data warehouse since you can't really report on those 2 variables (especially the counter evar) just make sure that whoever owns your SDR knows that these are data warehouse variables so they don't decide since nobody is reporting on them to remove them from your implementation.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Employee

While you cannot swap out the visits total count for an orders metric in the full paths report (since the purpose of the report is to illustrate aggregate distinct path counts); you could show full paths only containing your order confirmation page and that would restrict per your requirements.

Best,

Brian

Level 1

Thanks Brian, I have tried this but there seems to be another issue or I am missing something.  Example, I wont use exact numbers but let's say our company had 2,000 orders in October of 2014 but when I run the full path report I only get 325 full paths.  I am struggling with this because when I pull the information out of data warehouse  it gives path lengths for each of those orders and pages visited in the path (but not the order which is what I am looking for), so I am not understanding why the full path report wouldn't be closer to the 2,000.

Employee

Hi Tyler,

I am not aware of why there would be missing orders from your full paths report if your logic criteria is consistent. I would verify the date ranges and then try to compare against exact sessions or order IDs perhaps to QA.

Best,

Brian

Level 1

Thank you Brian, I will look into these also, do you know if there is a way to get the path order in a data warehouse pull? - Thanks

Employee

No there is not a way to pull the full paths reports via DW. You might need to leverage a data source such as the full raw clickstream.

Best,

Brian

Correct answer by
Level 6

There is a way but not for data already collected.

first you need to create 2 new variables.

1) using the s.getVisitNum plugin for day get the 'daily session number' that can go into a prop or evar (you record this on every server call you make)

s.eVarxx=s.getVisitNum('d');

2) using a counter evar you increment it once for every server call you make during the daily session number. since this expires at the end of the visit it will reset automatically at the visit close.

s.eVarYY="+1";

make sure that eVarYY is included in all your s.linkTrackVars variables so that it's tracked on all calls and make sure that before all s.t() and s.tl() calls you increment it to keep the running count.

Then you can setup your segment visit segment where the 'order' happened.

include visitorid, dates, product, those 2 new variables.

when you get your data warehouse request you sort first by visitorid, then by daily session number (the s.getVisitNum value) then by the counter evar and the customers journey through your site is now in order by server call.

This really only works for data warehouse since you can't really report on those 2 variables (especially the counter evar) just make sure that whoever owns your SDR knows that these are data warehouse variables so they don't decide since nobody is reporting on them to remove them from your implementation.