Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Filtering direct traffic: key metrics report vs referring domain report?

Level 5

While trying to filter direct traffic, I experienced that when applying the segment in the key metrics report the values for success events and traffic don't match when applied in the "Referring Domains" report. When appying the segment in the referring domains report the totals don't even match with the line item for direct traffic. Shouldn't they match?

Pls see the screenshot attached for better understanding.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hey,

The difference in those numbers are the internal URL fillters so only the visits that do not match the internal urls are shown up. 

TM

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Level 10

Hi Alev,

Well the some of line items in many cases not equal to the report total. The reasons may differ. You can look into this article - https://helpx.adobe.com/analytics/kb/sum-line-items-different-from-total.html

In your report since you have applied the segment, only the line item satisfying that rule is displayed, however the total is the total of all the referring domains captured.

I hope it answers your question.

TM

Level 5

So the Total always ignores the filter and gives me the totals of the report suite?

Level 10

Hi,

If you apply a segment, total will definitely change. 

If you apply a filter, it would be report specific. It may or may not change. If you can tell which report you want to look at, I could confirm to you.

Thanks!

TM

Level 5

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I did not mean the filter but the segment, as shown in the screenshot. The example in the screenshot shows that even if a segment is applied, the total number is completely different. Let's stick to the screenshot example: shouldn't the total be the same amount as the item?

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hey,

The difference in those numbers are the internal URL fillters so only the visits that do not match the internal urls are shown up. 

TM