Expand my Community achievements bar.

EDDL vs XDM

Level 3

Might sounds silly Q, if am comparing XDM to client side data layer. But my question is, currently I have EDDL setup, if I're to migrate to AEP, could I still leverage my EDDL or wil I be required to transform my data layer into XDM?

@Jennifer_Dungan

@SatheeskannaK

4 Replies

Level 4

Technically both approcahes can be used but in my opinion application datalayer should always be platform agonistic.

EDDL datalayer can be transformed into XDM schema easily by creating data elements. 

In my reserach earlier I found this article (https://station10.co.uk/approaches-to-implementing-adobe-analytics-via-aep-web-sdk-and-adobe-data-co...) super useful, It demonstrates apprach of Global resuable XDM object and then creating individual XDM objects which can be merged together.

Benefit of using this approach is to easily add Global Variables without modifying all XDM data elements. Example Adding new variables/entity to Global XDM data element is automatically inherited by all.

Level 3

Thanks much @abhinavpuri 

so data-elements feeds the XDM

and @Jennifer_Dungan

#1 The above mapping serves CJA integration, okay. When you say as-is into custom model, somewhere mapping would be needed to write into AA dimensions, wondering where that could/should happen!

#2 Furthermore, DL needed as triggers as long client-side collection. Thanks. Just curious, will that be no use when moved to server-side or events forwarding from server directly?

Thanks again

Level 4

Hi @abhijithr 

For #1, even though you are using XDM, for AA you need to include the standard Adobe Analytics field group which have all those eVars and Events fields and you will have to populate them with your data elements in Launch. When you migrate to CJA later, you have to design your own XDM schema fields for CJA and populate them with data element in Launch accordingly.

Adobe introduced another approach called Data Object in Web SDK, in which you don't need XDM for sending data to AA and thus the overall data flow is more simple. And when you migrate to CJA later, you do the data mapping (map those fields in Data Object to XDM) on server side (the Data Prep feature in Data Stream). Below is a link that talks about this, it's a long videro ~45mins but it's very useful.

Upgrading to Modernized Data Collection for Adobe Analytics with Web SDK - YouTube

Community Advisor

I 100% agree with @abhinavpuri that your data layer should be an agnostic way of getting data from your website into the analytics tracking tool of your choice.

Even with XDM, you are going to need your triggers and data to be collected from the site and passed in some format to Adobe, and your data layer is that primary interface.

However, above and beyond that, there are definitely some considerations. Adobe has just made updates to the XDM Stream that allow you to pass your Adobe Analytics data through as is into a custom "Analytics Model" within the XDM, meaning that you don't have to re-map all your data in the semantically named and constructed format of XDM.

That said, if you plan on moving to CJA at some point, you will need to use the XDM structures... I haven't moved to XDM yet, but my plan is to use the as is custom model initially, then move to XDM slowly with more time to vet and test the transition (and since we have no immediate plans for CJA there is no need to rush the transition)... changing less things at a time usually reduces some risks and also makes it easier for teams to adjust to the new testing methods.