Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

page vs page name dimension

Level 2

What is the distinction between page vs page name? I have been using page name as my primary dimension and just noticed the 'page' dimension. Is there a proper or better one to use over the other?

Thanks,

Victor

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @victortranatx 

your "Page Name" is a custom dimension, eVar13 whereas the Page dimension is the standard Adobe dimension, filled by the s.pageName attribute in your tracking calls.

"Page" is limited to 100 Bytes, whereas an eVar is able to capture 255 Bytes, so 2.5 times longer values are possible which is important in your case because your values seem quite long and may get truncated at some point. So, eVar13 / Page Name can serve as a backup.

On top of that, "Page" is only available in page view calls, where as an eVar can also be broken down when you want to analyze user interactions / custom link tracking.

So, as a best practice, I would always do what you can see in your example. Use the eVar as backup / extension of your Page dimension.

Cheers from Switzerland!

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 2

Tushaar, that second link didn't work for me.

I wanted to know if there was any real difference between the two dimensions as far as in-use. It looks like they are basically the same and can be used interchangeably.

Please let me know if that is not the case.page-name-vs-page.jpg 

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @victortranatx 

your "Page Name" is a custom dimension, eVar13 whereas the Page dimension is the standard Adobe dimension, filled by the s.pageName attribute in your tracking calls.

"Page" is limited to 100 Bytes, whereas an eVar is able to capture 255 Bytes, so 2.5 times longer values are possible which is important in your case because your values seem quite long and may get truncated at some point. So, eVar13 / Page Name can serve as a backup.

On top of that, "Page" is only available in page view calls, where as an eVar can also be broken down when you want to analyze user interactions / custom link tracking.

So, as a best practice, I would always do what you can see in your example. Use the eVar as backup / extension of your Page dimension.

Cheers from Switzerland!

Level 2

Bjoern,

Thank you! This is exactly what I needed to know.

Best,

Victor