Expand my Community achievements bar.

Analytics tagging on animation screen

Level 2

Hi,

I have a scenario where there is an animation screen with 5 screens, can we track how many users saw and exited each screen as it is an animation screen?

1 Reply

Community Advisor and Adobe Champion

Can you explain more what you mean by an "animation screen with 5 screens"?

I am picturing something like a little mini SPA inside of a traditional website... something that shows some info with a little "next" button (or maybe it's based on a timer), and that screen "slides out" and the next "slides in", there is no URL change.... When the last screen is, the last next or timer trigger then takes the user to a new URL.

If this is the case, there are a few ways of handling it...

One, you can have your developers add some custom triggers for each loaded screen, or if you are using an event based data layer, push a data layer event for each screen (i.e. screen 1, screen 2, screen 1 [again], screen 2, screen 3, etc) - basically something that you can listen for and create tracking from.

If there is a little "progress indicator" at the bottom that allows people to skip screens, then this solution also works well since you will know that a user went from screen 1 to screen 5 (and skipped 2-4).

The other option is to create your own click triggers on the next/previous buttons, progress buttons... but this can be harder to determine what screen the user is on... sometimes you can determine this through the DOM (what is hidden and what is visible) but it's a lot more work and less reliable... but in a pinch, you might have to do this as a temp solution (or a full one if you can't get the devs to build you what you need)

In either scenario, you could choose to track this as a single Page View when the URL is loaded, and each screen as an action... or you could treat each screen as a page view (if all / most of the content that the user is seeing is changing... it's essentially a new page of content, the URL is just the same).... that's a decision that will have to be made by you and your stakeholders....