Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Dynamic Variables in s.products

Level 1

Hey everyone. The organization I work for is interested in tracking impressions through s.products. We've got a pretty successful system set up, and it works, but the values in s.products get to be so long (mostly because they want the page title included in he merchandising eVar). I was wondering if anyone had any advice or examples on how to implement dynamic variables with the products variable and a merchandising eVar. (My main reference on dynamic variables: http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalmarketing/analytics/trimming-the-fat-with-dynamic-variables/)

Here's the general format of one of our products values: ;shortstring--shortstring;;;;eVar49=shortstring--shortstring--pageName--shortstring--prop3

This is somewhat OK for pages like our homepage that have a small pageName, but most of the pages on our site have really really long pageNames because it contains the name of a news article.

Does anyone have any information on how I might go about using dynamic variables in this context? What I've been reading states that 'D=' needs to be at the beginning of the value, but I don't know if that means at the beginning of the products entry or at the beginning of the merchandising evar.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 1

Hi Lisa,

An example of how you can set the dynamic variable can be:

s.eVar49=D=pageName

Looking at your code, the image request that will be submitted to the adobe servers will be truncated if the values are too long. I will advise to pass the page names to the predefined page name variable and possible use page ID's for the second category of the product line which you currently populate with the page name values and you can use the Dynamic settings for the eVar49. So an example could be

s.products=";HOME123;;;;eVar49=D=pageName";

This will go a long way to limit the values being submitted to the servers.

Hopes this help.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Level 8

Hi Lisa,

I don't have an answer for your specific query. However, I can give you some documentation that may help.

The documentation here talks about dynamic variables in general while the one here gives you some examples on it.

Let me know if this helps.

Kind Regards

Rahul

Correct answer by
Level 1

Hi Lisa,

An example of how you can set the dynamic variable can be:

s.eVar49=D=pageName

Looking at your code, the image request that will be submitted to the adobe servers will be truncated if the values are too long. I will advise to pass the page names to the predefined page name variable and possible use page ID's for the second category of the product line which you currently populate with the page name values and you can use the Dynamic settings for the eVar49. So an example could be

s.products=";HOME123;;;;eVar49=D=pageName";

This will go a long way to limit the values being submitted to the servers.

Hopes this help.