Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Does adding product finding method for simple button click event will consume cost (server cost)?

Level 6

Does adding product finding method for simple button click event will consume cost (server cost)?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Can you elaborate on this?

What exactly do you mean when you say "adding product finding method for simple button click event"

I assume you are in Launch (i.e. Data Collection), and you are creating a rule based on clicking a button... but what is that rule doing? Is it sending data to Adobe Analytics? Or is it creating a cookie, or a session variable, or doing something else on the site?

Server calls are your tracking calls, when you trigger an s.t() or an s.tl() call (i.e. Send Beacon). Those are what you pay for in your contract... 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Can you elaborate on this?

What exactly do you mean when you say "adding product finding method for simple button click event"

I assume you are in Launch (i.e. Data Collection), and you are creating a rule based on clicking a button... but what is that rule doing? Is it sending data to Adobe Analytics? Or is it creating a cookie, or a session variable, or doing something else on the site?

Server calls are your tracking calls, when you trigger an s.t() or an s.tl() call (i.e. Send Beacon). Those are what you pay for in your contract... 

Level 6

We already have an evar which is enabled for product finding method. Now we are using the evar to send a click event name to it so that we can make use of that evar to find how it has contributed to conversion. Should I make any special way to tracking values to that evar or just a normal click event?

Community Advisor

But you are sending a beacon - s.tl() - on the click? Then yes, that will contribute to your server calls.

Without knowing your site, it's a little hard to answer... but I will give you an example of how I handle clicks on our site.

So I have a lot of different dimensions that I collect on our page views (there are some that are common to all pages, and some that are page specific) - this should be basic.. (these include things like an eVar that holds the same value as pageName, the current URL, the page type, information about the user if they are logged in, etc)

Now, for my clicks, there are a number of the above dimensions that I always want to collect on my clicks for correlation (particularly things like the eVars for pageName and URL - since the default pageName and URL dimentions do not attach to clicks). Then I may have some additional click only parameters... some that may be common to all clicks, and some that are specific to certain clicks.

So when I trigger a click, I make sure that my standard correlation dimensions, my standard click dimensions, and the specific click dimensions are all included in my s.tl() call.

For some clicks, I also have dedicated event(s) for the click... some clicks I just use the click instance.

By passing all this additional data, I can pull out a lot more correlation about the click.

Community Advisor

In addition to @Jennifer_Dungan 's answer and going back to @aagk123 's question, you can track as many eVars/props/events as you want in a single tracking beacon call, and you'll still get charged for just that one beacon call, as @leocwlau has stated in his answer.

Community Advisor

Adobe Analytics cost is based on "server call", which is the number of times you are sending data to Adobe Analytics, regardless of how much data you sent in one single call.

Basically, one server call per s.t() or s.tl() function call for AppMeasurement tracking, or alloy("sendEvent") if using WebSDK and sending data to Adobe Analytics in the data stream.

You can observe if there is any server call in browser network traffic where one network traffic to the data collection server is one server call. Or using a browser plugin like OmniBug will be easier for the observation.