Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

DAU/MAU "stickiness": calculated metric on a rolling date period

Level 3

Hi,

I'd like to calculate a "stickiness" metric for each day as DAU/MAU where DAU is the "daily active user" (i.e. uniques visitors) of a specific day and MAU is the "monthly active user" (i.e. unique visitors for the 30 last days) for the same day (so period including this day and 29 days before).

It's easy to get the DAU per day thanks to a simple table with "day" dimension as rows and "unique visitors" metric as column.

But I don't know how to get the number of unique visitors on the last 30 days for each day of a period.

I mean, it's possible one shot for a specific day, using a date range dimension, but it's not possible for each day of a period.

I can't figure out how to create a calculated metric that will give for each day of a period (day as dimension in rows) the number of unique visitors during last 30 days...

Does anyone already succeed to calculate such metric on a rolling date period?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

It's not supported at the moment as the rolling dates are linked to the current day rather than to the date displayed in the freeform table rows.

You may want to submit a feature request in the Ideas.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Level 3

To clarify the problem:

what I would like is a table with date (days) as rows, and metrics in column « DAU », « MAU » and « DAU/MAU ratio ».

For example, for 2019-09-26, DAU would be the number of unique visitors during the day of 2019-09-26, and MAU would be the number of unique visitors during the time period of 30 days from 28/08/2019 to 26/09/2019 (included).

And for 019-09-27, DAU would be the number of unique visitors during the day of 2019-09-27, and MAU would be the number of unique visitors during the time period of 30 days from 29/08/2019 to 27/09/2019 (included).

Level 1
I'm interested in this question too - anyone got any further thoughts?

Level 10

GaMeur,

Build a table with two Unique Visitors metrics. Add "yesterday" time period under the first IV metric, add "last 30 days" time period under the second UV metric. This will work as "filters". The first column will return DAU, the second — MAU.

You may want to create custom time periods as per your needs and use such a technic for any type of AU.

Advanced calculated metrics will help you add the Ratio metrics. The time periods can be used as filters in the metric builder, just add them on top of the metric.

Level 1

Thanks @Andrey_Osadchuk ! Could you help to share more details on how to achieve this? "Advanced calculated metrics will help you add the Ratio metrics"

Level 3

Thank you Andrey but I don't think it match my needs.

This is working only if you want to have DAU and MAU for yesterday.

For example, if today is October 3rd, I'll get DAU as uniques visitors for yesterday (October 2nd) and MAU as uniques visitors during last 30 days (from Sep 4th to October 2nd).

But I won't get it for each day of a specific past period!

For example, I would like to have those figures for each day of September. How do I do?

Level 10

Just build a table with the day dimension and you will get DAU for each day.

Level 3

Yes, DAU is easy to get (as I said in my first post). What's difficult to get is MAU!!!

I can't get unique visitors on last 30 days for each day of a specific past period.

Level 1

I had same issues when i wanted to create stickiness metric. please let me know if this solves it.

I created a custom metric. Created segment on 30 full days, added people(visitor) metric, changed the people metric to grand total instead of standard.  (People is the same as visitor, just CJA name)

Fongen_1-1666938686194.png

this is then the report: 

Fongen_2-1666938686744.png

Fongen_3-1666938686341.png

Level 1

i do understand that it. isnt 100% what you are after, but i do think the metric can work for that purpose in many cases

Correct answer by
Level 10

It's not supported at the moment as the rolling dates are linked to the current day rather than to the date displayed in the freeform table rows.

You may want to submit a feature request in the Ideas.

Level 3

Ok, that's what I was afraid of...

Thanks for your time and your answer.

Level 4

For those also wanting this functionality in Adobe Analytics I've added to the ideas board at https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-analytics-ideas/rolling-daily-monthly-yearly-...

Please like and up-vote.