Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Custom link instances by unique visitors?

Level 2

I want to see the number of custom link instances (clicks) on a set of newly implemented CTAs on a page, but if the same person has clicked a link 100 times, I still only want it to be counted as one click. Is there a way to do this?

I have a set of custom links: {CTA1, CTA2, CTA3}, and two metrics: Unique visitors, and Custom link instances. From my knowledge, you cannot see the intersection between two metrics, but at the same time, this seems like pertinent information to know from the data coming in.. so I have a feeling there is something obvious I am overlooking. Will simply looking at the unique visitors to the set of custom links give me what I am after?

Any help is very much appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

While @Hemang35's solution will sort of work, using "Visitor" Level segments will look at these clicks for the entire Visitors lifetime...

(basically, if the user hit CTA1 3 months ago, and only visited your site today.. that segment will still return the user... which isn't what you want)

It's actually much simpler to create a "Hit" level segment for each link:

Custom Link equals CTA1

In your Workspace, just stack this segment with Unique Visitors.... 

This will ensure that the Visitor actually hit the CTA in whatever time frame you are looking at (panel Last Month, dimension breakdown by Days - only the Days that the user clicked on the CTA will show, and your Monthly Total will count the user once)

You can see at the Daily Breakdown there is a huge difference between "Hit" and "Visit" level Segments:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1682690539964.png

Visitor segments are good when trying to get a picture from a user's lifetime, but for something like this, the Hit Level paired with the UV metric will get you a clearer picture of what is happening for your CTAs.

You can also use the Hit Level item if, for instance, you want to see the Unique User Count who interacted with any of those CTAs...

You can create:

Hit Level Segment

Custom Link equals CTA1

OR

Custom Link equals CTA2

OR

Custom Link equals CTA3

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Yes, you can achieve this by using a segment in Adobe Analytics. To count only unique visitors who clicked on any of the CTAs and consider only one click per visitor, you can create a segment and apply it to the custom link instances metric. Here's how to create the segment:

1. Log in to your Adobe Analytics account and go to the "Workspace" tab.

2. Click on the "Components" tab in the left panel and select "Segments."

3. Click on the "+" button to create a new segment.

4. Give the segment a name, such as "Unique CTA Clicks."

5. In the "Builder" section, drag and drop the "Visitor" container onto the canvas.

6. Inside the "Visitor" container, drag and drop the "Custom Link" dimension.

7. In the "Custom Link" dimension, select the operator "equals" and enter the value for your first custom link (e.g., CTA1).

8. To include the other CTAs, click on the "+" button next to the existing "Custom Link" condition, change the operator to "OR," and repeat steps 6-7 for each of your CTAs (e.g., CTA2 and CTA3).

9. Once you've added all the CTAs, save the segment.

Now you have a segment that includes unique visitors who clicked on any of the CTAs. To apply this segment to your report:

1. Go to the "Workspace" tab and create a new Freeform Table.

2. Drag and drop the "Custom Link Instances" metric onto the table.

3. Drag and drop the "Unique CTA Clicks" segment you created earlier onto the table.

The resulting table will show the number of custom link instances (clicks) considering only one click per unique visitor for your set of CTAs. In other words, it will count each visitor's interaction with the CTAs only once, even if they clicked multiple times.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

While @Hemang35's solution will sort of work, using "Visitor" Level segments will look at these clicks for the entire Visitors lifetime...

(basically, if the user hit CTA1 3 months ago, and only visited your site today.. that segment will still return the user... which isn't what you want)

It's actually much simpler to create a "Hit" level segment for each link:

Custom Link equals CTA1

In your Workspace, just stack this segment with Unique Visitors.... 

This will ensure that the Visitor actually hit the CTA in whatever time frame you are looking at (panel Last Month, dimension breakdown by Days - only the Days that the user clicked on the CTA will show, and your Monthly Total will count the user once)

You can see at the Daily Breakdown there is a huge difference between "Hit" and "Visit" level Segments:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1682690539964.png

Visitor segments are good when trying to get a picture from a user's lifetime, but for something like this, the Hit Level paired with the UV metric will get you a clearer picture of what is happening for your CTAs.

You can also use the Hit Level item if, for instance, you want to see the Unique User Count who interacted with any of those CTAs...

You can create:

Hit Level Segment

Custom Link equals CTA1

OR

Custom Link equals CTA2

OR

Custom Link equals CTA3

Level 2

Thank you! This was what I needed but I forgot to mark this is as a correct solution.