Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Cross-tab marketing analysis with using Unique Visitor metric

Level 2

hi.

While I am working on marketing channel analysis, I read about cross-tab marketing analysis.

zoe_kim_0-1623905663964.png

Is it the proper way to use Cross-tab marketing analysis with using Unique Visitor instead of Order?
If it is, what would be the correct interpretation for the data?

Example: Column: Last touch channel // Row: First touch channel, Metric: Unique Visitor

First touch channel = Paid search & Last touch channel = Email >> 5 

- The number of visitors who visited our site via 'Paid search' on his first visit and came back to the site via 'Email' on his last visit is 5.

Is it correct? 

Thanks, 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

That is absolutely correct. Lets take an example as below -

Visitor visits the site via Email.

Visit 1 - Email >> left the session

Same visitor comes back again via Paid Search.

Visit 2 - Paid Search >> Conversion happened.

If you take Orders as a success metric, the last touch channel would be "Paid Search". However, for Visitors there are two last touch channel i.e. Email(in Visit 1) and Paid Search(in Visit 2).

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 2

Hi there,

Mostly, cross tab analysis is done with Orders/Revenue as success metrics are only credited to the last touch channel that was present for that customer before conversion. If you use Visitors/Visits metrics then there could be instances where a visitor would be credited to more than one last touch channel(For instance - A visitor came in via Email and then a few days later returned to the website via Paid Search).

PS - Your interpretation in case of Unique Visitors is correct.

Level 2

Thank you!

Could you explain more about <If you use Visitors/Visits metrics then there could be instances where a visitor would be credited to more than one last touch channel(For instance - A visitor came in via Email and then a few days later returned to the website via Paid Search).> this case? 

Normally, in that case, if A visitor made a conversion when he came in via 'Paid Search', Email will get all the credits as the last touch channel, right? 

But if I use Unique Visitor metrics, could both Email and Paid Search get credit as the last touch channel?

Correct answer by
Level 2

That is absolutely correct. Lets take an example as below -

Visitor visits the site via Email.

Visit 1 - Email >> left the session

Same visitor comes back again via Paid Search.

Visit 2 - Paid Search >> Conversion happened.

If you take Orders as a success metric, the last touch channel would be "Paid Search". However, for Visitors there are two last touch channel i.e. Email(in Visit 1) and Paid Search(in Visit 2).

Hope this helps!