Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Creating segments by using 2 existing segments

Level 1

I am trying to create a new segment using 2 segment.

For example, segment 1 + segment 2 + segment 3 = Total
I have the segment 1 and segment 2. I am trying to create segment 3 by excluding it from the total. Not sure if this is possible since it is not giving me the desired results.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

When you use multiple segments together, you're basically joining their conditions with a boolean AND. Adobe labels this as "stacking segments": https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/components/segmentation/segmentation-workflow/seg-...

So let's say you have these 3 segments:

Segment 1: Countries contains United States, Japan, Singapore

Segment 2: Mobile Device Type equals mobile

Segment 3: Countries equals Japan

Then

Total = Segment 1 + Segment 2 + Segment 3 = (Countries contains United States, Japan, Singapore) AND (Mobile Device Type equals mobile) AND (Countries equals Japan) = Countries equals Japan AND Mobile Device Type equals mobile.

And

Segment 1 + Segment 2 = Countries contains United States, Japan, Singapore AND Mobile Device Type equals mobile

So if you're trying to get Segment 3 by excluding Segment 1 + Segment 2 from Total, you're trying to do this:

Total + Exclude(Segment 1 + Segment 2) = (Countries equals Japan AND Mobile Device Type equals mobile) AND NOT[(Countries contains United States, Japan, Singapore AND Mobile Device Type equals mobile)] = Countries equals Japan AND Mobile Device Type equals mobile AND [NOT(Countries contains United States, Japan, Singapore) OR NOT(Mobile Device Type equals mobile)] = Countries equals Japan AND Mobile Device Type equals mobile AND (Countries does not contain United States, Japan, Singapore OR Mobile Device Type does not equal mobile)

As you can see, the resulting conditions are such that you can't get back the equivalent of Segment 3, i.e. Countries equals Japan.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

When you use multiple segments together, you're basically joining their conditions with a boolean AND. Adobe labels this as "stacking segments": https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/components/segmentation/segmentation-workflow/seg-...

So let's say you have these 3 segments:

Segment 1: Countries contains United States, Japan, Singapore

Segment 2: Mobile Device Type equals mobile

Segment 3: Countries equals Japan

Then

Total = Segment 1 + Segment 2 + Segment 3 = (Countries contains United States, Japan, Singapore) AND (Mobile Device Type equals mobile) AND (Countries equals Japan) = Countries equals Japan AND Mobile Device Type equals mobile.

And

Segment 1 + Segment 2 = Countries contains United States, Japan, Singapore AND Mobile Device Type equals mobile

So if you're trying to get Segment 3 by excluding Segment 1 + Segment 2 from Total, you're trying to do this:

Total + Exclude(Segment 1 + Segment 2) = (Countries equals Japan AND Mobile Device Type equals mobile) AND NOT[(Countries contains United States, Japan, Singapore AND Mobile Device Type equals mobile)] = Countries equals Japan AND Mobile Device Type equals mobile AND [NOT(Countries contains United States, Japan, Singapore) OR NOT(Mobile Device Type equals mobile)] = Countries equals Japan AND Mobile Device Type equals mobile AND (Countries does not contain United States, Japan, Singapore OR Mobile Device Type does not equal mobile)

As you can see, the resulting conditions are such that you can't get back the equivalent of Segment 3, i.e. Countries equals Japan.

Community Advisor

In addition to @yuhuisg's answer, joining segments really depends on what segments and IF the segments are built in a way that will stack as expected

You also need to be sure that you are using the correct AND or OR logic when stacking....

I do stack segment into other segments in my implementation (my only issue is that once I pull a segment into another one, it basically becomes a container holding a copy of the current logic (if I update the original segment, the new segment does not get the changes... it would be cool if this would keep the reference to the original segment and allow the changes to cascade), so I know it works... 

But maybe if we knew more about what your Segment 1 and 2 do, and what result you are trying to get with Segment 3. I understand that you are basically trying to get your full traffic by looking at Segment 1 and Segment 2, and Segment 3 should be "everything else"... but understanding more about your first 2 segments we may be able to offer more insights to help you get to your desired result.