Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

3 Segments for Unique Visitors, Visit, and Hit on Same Dimension

Level 4

Hi,

I was wondering why Visitors, Visits, and Page Views are different when you use the same dimension and just change the scope to Visitor, Visit, or Hit? I'm having trouble understanding why they change? Can someone illustrate an example? I believe @Jennifer_Dungan did this yesterday, 8/7/24, in the "Adobe Experience Makers The Skill Exchange for Adobe Analytics - Grow Path" session for segments. I have an example here to illustrate. I am writing down scenarios, but I don't understand when visitors would still be included on both the visitor scope and hit scope for the dimension? Here is my example:

skatofiabah_0-1723129985646.png

skatofiabah_1-1723130074798.png

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @skatofiabah,

Unique Visitor and Visits still apply at every hit...

Let's use me as an example. Two days ago, I come to your site and view 5 pages, then yesterday I come to your site and view 2 pages, then I visited again today and viewed 1 page.

I am a Unique Visitor on your site, I made 3 visits, and in those 3 visits I viewed 8 pages overall. Those metrics can be viewed all the way down to each hit, when I view "Page A" I am still considered a user on that page... and on every page that I hit... as I view more pages and make more visits, I am still the same person so that doesn't change.

5 of those 8 pages were in 1 visit, and 2 of those pages were in a second visit, and the last page was in the final visit. Let's say that I viewed the same page twice, once in two of my visits:

Visit 1

• Page A (hit 1)
  • Page B (hit 2)
  • Page C (hit 3)
  • Page D (hit 4)
  • Page E (hit 5)

Visit 2

• Page F (hit 6)
  • Page A (hit 7)

Visit 3

• Page G (hit

When I look at "Page A" with the key metrics, it will show 1 Unique Visitor, 2 Visits, and 2 Page Views. When I look at any of the other pages in isolation (B, C, D, E or F), it will show 1 Unique Visitor, 1 Visit, and 1 Page View.

When you create a segment for "Page A", let's look at the different segment scopes:

HIT

A hit based segment looking for Page A will return only 2 hits - hit 1 and hit 7

VISIT

A Visit based segment, looking for Page A, will return all the hits in the visits with a matching hit, so it will return all the hits in the first 2 visits - hits 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7

VISITOR

A Visitor based segment will identify me as having seen Page A, and it will bring back all of my activity across all my visits - hits 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8

Now, in your example, it's a strange that you have different values for your UV metrics across your three segments... are there any other segments in play here? Like at the panel level (or are you using a virtual suite with a segment)? Or maybe you just need to refresh the report due to a odd calculation at the time of the screenshot?

You UVs should be the same for all three... your Visits should be the same for Visit and Hit segments, and your page views should all be different.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 2

@skatofiabah Here is an example that we can look into.

ScopeMetricOverallPage APage BPage CPage D
HitVisitors11 Visitor1 Visitor1 Visitor1 Visitor
 Visits22 Visits1 Visit1 Visit1 Visit
 Page Views52 Page Views1 Page View1 Page View1 Page View
VisitVisitors11 Visitor1 Visitor1 Visitor1 Visitor
VisitorVisitors11 Visitor1 Visitor1 Visitor1 Visitor

Explanation of the Table:

• Visitors: There’s just one unique visitor (User 123) who interacted with the site.

• Visits: User 123 made two separate visits to the site.

• Page Views:

• Page A: Visited during both Visit 1 and Visit 2, resulting in 2 page views.
    • Page B: Visited only during Visit 1.
    • Page C: Visited only during Visit 1.
    • Page Visited only during Visit 2.

Note points :

• Visit 1: User 123 explored Pages A, B, and C.
  • Visit 2: User 123 came back and viewed Pages A and D

Level 4

Hi @Achyuth19 ,

This didn't answer my question. I'm taking about segments. The metrics for visitors, visits, and page views should differ when a url is applied under a visitor, visit, and hit scope. But why? Do exclusions happen but then not apply to certain metrics when applied?

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @skatofiabah,

Unique Visitor and Visits still apply at every hit...

Let's use me as an example. Two days ago, I come to your site and view 5 pages, then yesterday I come to your site and view 2 pages, then I visited again today and viewed 1 page.

I am a Unique Visitor on your site, I made 3 visits, and in those 3 visits I viewed 8 pages overall. Those metrics can be viewed all the way down to each hit, when I view "Page A" I am still considered a user on that page... and on every page that I hit... as I view more pages and make more visits, I am still the same person so that doesn't change.

5 of those 8 pages were in 1 visit, and 2 of those pages were in a second visit, and the last page was in the final visit. Let's say that I viewed the same page twice, once in two of my visits:

Visit 1

• Page A (hit 1)
  • Page B (hit 2)
  • Page C (hit 3)
  • Page D (hit 4)
  • Page E (hit 5)

Visit 2

• Page F (hit 6)
  • Page A (hit 7)

Visit 3

• Page G (hit

When I look at "Page A" with the key metrics, it will show 1 Unique Visitor, 2 Visits, and 2 Page Views. When I look at any of the other pages in isolation (B, C, D, E or F), it will show 1 Unique Visitor, 1 Visit, and 1 Page View.

When you create a segment for "Page A", let's look at the different segment scopes:

HIT

A hit based segment looking for Page A will return only 2 hits - hit 1 and hit 7

VISIT

A Visit based segment, looking for Page A, will return all the hits in the visits with a matching hit, so it will return all the hits in the first 2 visits - hits 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7

VISITOR

A Visitor based segment will identify me as having seen Page A, and it will bring back all of my activity across all my visits - hits 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8

Now, in your example, it's a strange that you have different values for your UV metrics across your three segments... are there any other segments in play here? Like at the panel level (or are you using a virtual suite with a segment)? Or maybe you just need to refresh the report due to a odd calculation at the time of the screenshot?

You UVs should be the same for all three... your Visits should be the same for Visit and Hit segments, and your page views should all be different.