Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Creating segment a segment with a page seen only once

Level 3

Hi All, 

I want to create a segment to isolate the visit in which a specific page is seen only once.

Ex: page wanted is D

With the following paths on page during sessions

C -> D

A -> B -> D

D

ok D is only once, so should be in it

But if 

D -> A -> B -> D

D -> D

A -> B -> C

it should not be in because D is present more than once or not present at all

Is it something possible to do in Analytics with segment?

Thanks

Robin

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3

Hi, 
I found a way to validate the logic of my segment to have a specific page seen only once:

robinl39529461_0-1693379463210.png

How :

1) The number of visit of the page in my segment has to be equals to the total number of visit in my segment (in red). So I'm sure all my visit contains this page.

2) In my segment, the number of page views on this page has to be equals to the number of visit on this page (in yellow). So I'm sure the page is viewed only once

robinl39529461_1-1693379647649.png

Hope it can help the others ones.
Thanks Jennifer for your support

Robin

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Community Advisor

If you are only planning on using these segments with something like the Visits metric, you should be able to do simple segment like this (I am using "home" in my example):

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1692718388449.png

Notice that I am using "Visit" level segment, and looking specifically for the combination of my page, and that my page views for that page are only 1

To ensure that this was exclusive, I created a corresponding segment:

Jennifer_Dungan_2-1692718448966.png

And checked that the two segments are mutually exclusive of one another.

Now, when you pair this with the Visits metric on your freeform table, this should get you the number of visits where your page was seen once inside the visit.

However, if you ever pair this with another metric, or do dimensional breakdown, you will potentially get inflated values if those dimension exist on other pages... since this segment is returning all the content from the Visit.

If you potentially need to look at other items which are not isolation to that page, but you want the segment to only contain data for "Page D", then you can make your segment more like this:

Jennifer_Dungan_3-1692718844898.png

I've switched the segment itself to a HIT level, then I have 2 containers, one also at Hit Level, when I look for the page and that a PV exists.

AND

I look for a Visit level container, that looks at my page and the PV constraint of 1 PV

The first part will ensure that only "home" page data is returned, and the second part ensures that at the visit level, that page was only viewed once.

This second segment will still work properly with your Visits metric (returning identical Visits value), but you can pair with Page Views (to see how many page views within your range came from a single view of the page within the visit), or you can break down the data with globally collected metrics, like logged in or out users, or language choice, or whatever else you may be collecting without inflating what you are seeing.

Level 3

Thanks Jennifer for your quick reaction.

I tested the segment (visit level with Page name = 'home' and page view = 1) with concrete session in our data: a visit containing the page wanted only once and also other pages.

As result, this session is not part of the segment.
I have the feeling that this segment  will contains the visit in which only one page is viewed (following your ewample: page home). 
It's confirmed by using the metric 'Page Views/Visits' on this segment that gives 1 as result.

I wanted to test using this combination but result is not ok :
hit for wich the page home is seen by excluding the session in which the page home is seen once and then once again

robinl39529461_0-1692773506182.png

So not yet convinced by the result. But already a big thanks for your support.

Robin

Community Advisor

Oh sorry, there also needs to be a nested Hit container in the first segment like this:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1692795874713.png

Level 3

Thanks again Jennifer and sorry for my late answer.
By doing stuff like this, the limitation on Page views = 1 will be done in the container on hit level.
So there is no restriction if the page is seen more than once durnig the visit.

See result in this freeform :

robinl39529461_0-1692967929091.png

With this different segments logic:

robinl39529461_1-1692967976445.png

robinl39529461_2-1692968007698.png

So I have the feeling what I did is ok but I'm still no sure how to check this

Community Advisor

Hmm ok, yeah, I see where I went wrong on my segment... I also tried an example using yours....

Yours looks like it should work, I tested it with a page on my site, mine, once I added the container broke some of the logic... because the first hit of the page (the included part) didn't exclude the potential additional hits of the page subsequently in the Visit... sometimes the way that segments work can be a little frustrating

The segment logic can sometimes cause some havoc, but with something like "Page" which is only on page views and acts more like a Prop, makes this easier to work with.

Correct answer by
Level 3

Hi, 
I found a way to validate the logic of my segment to have a specific page seen only once:

robinl39529461_0-1693379463210.png

How :

1) The number of visit of the page in my segment has to be equals to the total number of visit in my segment (in red). So I'm sure all my visit contains this page.

2) In my segment, the number of page views on this page has to be equals to the number of visit on this page (in yellow). So I'm sure the page is viewed only once

robinl39529461_1-1693379647649.png

Hope it can help the others ones.
Thanks Jennifer for your support

Robin