Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Create a segment that shows activity two weeks after they hit a page

Level 2

I think there are many ways to do this, and I'm open to any suggestions or advice.

I would just like to create a segment that shows data of people after they hit a specific page. In the segment builder I have this so far, but I'm not sure if it's correct:

Arn_Fam_0-1707414770021.png

If there are other ways to go about this again I'm open to those suggestions! The general idea is analyze user traffic after they perform a specific action for a specified time period.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hmm you might want to look into something like a Cohort Table... 

With the entry criteria being Page View (metric) and the specific Page (segment), the Return Criteria would be Page Views or Visits...

You can create a segment from cells in that table, but they will be locked to "specific weeks", which may not be what you are looking for.. but I think this is the best place to start.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hmm you might want to look into something like a Cohort Table... 

With the entry criteria being Page View (metric) and the specific Page (segment), the Return Criteria would be Page Views or Visits...

You can create a segment from cells in that table, but they will be locked to "specific weeks", which may not be what you are looking for.. but I think this is the best place to start.

Level 2

Hey Jennifer,

So I made a segment that tried to kind of mirror what I wanted from the cohort I created. I would like the segment to really catch anyone that visited page x and then performed something within the two week interval after. 

You think something like this would work?

Arn_Fam_1-1707466123036.png

Pretty general, but essentially I would be able to see what pages they visit, button clicks, trace journeys, etc. 

What do you think if you don't mind me asking? 

Community Advisor

Hi @Arn_Fam I was also playing with something like that... now it comes down to how strict your definitions are...

First off, I think you need to add an "Only After Sequence" logic, so as to not get traffic from that person before this sequence...

The other problem is that this will also pull back data after those 2 weeks.

Basically, this definition will do the following:

- Find people who hit page x

- Then within 2 weeks, hit any page or perform an action (i.e. have a custom click value)

Now, once that person is identified, ALL their traffic (before, during and after) will be returned.

So let's say the person did:

Visit 1 (Jan 1)

• page z

Visit 2 (Jan 4)

• page w
  • action 1
  • page x
  • page m

Visit 3 (Jan 10)

• page q

Visit 4 (Jan 29 - more than 2 weeks after Jan 4)

• page y

Your segment will return all pages and actions for all 4 of their visits (because the segment in the middle was true)

Level 2

Okay so I'll add that "Only After Sequence" to constrain it more.

From what you're saying, I think this situation would be fine in pulling the traffic of all visitors that meet that criteria, before and after. It would be nice if we could somehow filter before and after traffic and look at what visitors are doing solely within those two weeks. 

I know the person container doesn't really function like that, but if you have dealt with logic like that in the past I would love to know how you would go about it.

Community Advisor

Well, I mean, you could always do one segment for "after" (since you want to see what they do after the specific action)... but you could always do another segment for "before"?

The after will show more than 2 weeks of data (I forgot to mention that...). 

Level 2

That makes sense! Would it be possible however to somehow exclude data that does not include the condition? For instance only data within the two weeks and not the before and after.

From what I understand the person container groups visitors together that meet the condition set in the segment. From there you can see this specific group of visitors activity before the condition set and after.

I'm potentially looking for a way to isolate solely what happens between the two weeks. The segment wouldn't display data before the condition was met or after. Does that help at all? I could be making things more confusing haha.

Community Advisor

I've been trying, but I haven't been able to figure it out... Adobe needs more options than just "Only Before" and "Only After"

They really need an "Only This Sequence"...

So far what I tried just broke the segment completely so that it didn't return any data... 

Level 2

Haha well thanks for taking the time to look into it more. I'll keep trying to figure out what I can do.

That setting would definitely solve this issue haha. Thanks again though!

Community Advisor

If I think of anything, I'll post back here, and if you figure something out, it would be great to share for other people.