Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!

Classification Data Change Issue

Level 2

I was pulling some Order metrics off a classification Dimension "Name (Product)", where we have a friendly name instead of a product ID. When I pulled the data for a specific product with a segment, it told me we had 424 Orders. Then when adding different segments as new columns to get different cuts of the data, I noticed the number drop substantially down to 352 in my original column. Then when I updated my report to use the "Product" dimension instead of the classification dimension, my number returned to the 424. I then switched it back to the classification dimension and it remained at the original 424. 

Has anyone else noticed this with classification Dimensions, where they'll work and then break out of the blue? What causes this bug? I'd like to know to hopefully avoid it in the future and let stakeholders know so they don't report findings or make larger business decisions off incorrect data.

2 Replies

Level 1

Possibly it is because when we import classification or data source and try to analyze same in workspace, we need to only consider dimentions & sub dimentions from imported data, we cant mix existing online dimentions with imported ones. Eg slicing visits for classification "product name", is possible only if visits are also imported with product name. I hope this helps 

Level 2
That could make sense if the data didn't correct itself randomly as well though right? It's not as if the Visitor never is classified, its that they are classified, unclassified, and reclassified within 5 minutes of each other.