Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Can someone explain page velocity?

Level 1

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out why my page velocity values differ on the same pages of my site depending on whether I'm looking at them from the Entry Page Report & the Pages Report? Why does the pages views/visits metric always equal page velocity in the entry page report but not in the pages report? 

I'm hoping someone can explain just how the attribution works in a simple way.

Cheers

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

@Andrew_Wathen_ , why do you think that page velocity returns # of PV AFTER?

Correct me if I am wrong, but it's calculated as # of PV with Visit Participation divided by Visits.

I think that the answer on Daryl's question is that when the Entry Dimension is used the participation attribution does not need to be applied to the PV/Visits metric to get the total PV within the Visit. PV for the Entry Pages dimension returns total PV for the entire Visit. That's why both metrics return the same result.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @daryl_m,

Using page velocity metric against the page dimension will tell you the average number of pages views that occur after each page.

In my opinion, using the page velocity against the entry page, dimension doesn't produce useful data.   This is because entry page is one of a small subset of dimensions that operate at the session/visit level and do not work at a hit level.  This is the reason why it ends up just returning the average number of page views per visit. I would recommend against using it in this way as it may be confusing.

Correct answer by
Level 10

@Andrew_Wathen_ , why do you think that page velocity returns # of PV AFTER?

Correct me if I am wrong, but it's calculated as # of PV with Visit Participation divided by Visits.

I think that the answer on Daryl's question is that when the Entry Dimension is used the participation attribution does not need to be applied to the PV/Visits metric to get the total PV within the Visit. PV for the Entry Pages dimension returns total PV for the entire Visit. That's why both metrics return the same result.

Community Advisor

Dear daryl_m,

Hope you already got the answer from the replies from Andrew and Andrey, however, it is important for you to understand the metric Page/Content Velocity from the principle stand and thus I would recommend you to go through my blog post on Content Velocity.

Apply the principle for both Page and Entry Page, you can understand the difference by yourself.

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B | Xerago | Terryn Winter Analytics 

Community Advisor

Dear daryl_m,

If your have got the answer for your question, can you mark the relevant answer as 'CORRECT' so that it will be helpful for everyone? Much appreciate.

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B | Xerago | Terryn Winter Analytics