Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Can I track exit links for a single page?

Level 1

I want to track exit links, but only for a single page and not the whole site.  When I try to build a segment it does not work.  Is there anyway that I can do this?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi Colin,

Yes, you definitely can, however would require a slightly modified segment. since pageName is stripped from all exit links (to prevent page view inflation), you'll want to try one of two things:

• Pass pageName into a separate variable, and include that variable in linkTrackVars: This will allow you to create a segment based on a variable that doesn't get stripped in exit link image requests.
  • Modify the segment to use the rule 'previous page': I'm not 100% on the accuracy of this segment, but it's definitely worth a shot. Create a pageview container saying "Previous Page" "equals" "[page in question]". I anticipate this would give you the data you're looking for.

---
If this answer was helpful, mark it with a 'heart'. If it answered your question, mark it correct.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 1

You can set a custom click event and assign appropriate event,props,vars..

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi Colin,

Yes, you definitely can, however would require a slightly modified segment. since pageName is stripped from all exit links (to prevent page view inflation), you'll want to try one of two things:

• Pass pageName into a separate variable, and include that variable in linkTrackVars: This will allow you to create a segment based on a variable that doesn't get stripped in exit link image requests.
  • Modify the segment to use the rule 'previous page': I'm not 100% on the accuracy of this segment, but it's definitely worth a shot. Create a pageview container saying "Previous Page" "equals" "[page in question]". I anticipate this would give you the data you're looking for.

---
If this answer was helpful, mark it with a 'heart'. If it answered your question, mark it correct.

Level 3

I had tried to do this. Could you please share some examples so that I can figure out my error.

Employee Advisor

This help page gives several examples of firing additional variables in custom link requests:

http://microsite.omniture.com/t2/help/en_US/sc/implement/index.html#Setting_Additional_Variables_for...

Employee Advisor

Examples were included in the previous reply. Could you be more specific on what exactly you're looking for?

Level 4

Hi Colin Buley,

Since we haven’t heard back from you recently,hope we were able to answer all your queries and the issue got resolved to your satisfaction. 
I will go ahead and archive this case as resolved.
However, if you have any additional questions simply respond to this message and it will be reopened.
I would appreciate if you could spare your valuable time to participate and identify the correct answer which would be of great help to us.

Thanks and Regards

Akhil