Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Best practice request - time on page?

Level 2

For sites with high bounce rates, time on page metrics are misleading as the out of the box metric only calculates time on page for those that don't exit. 

Looking for any best practices from users who have built out a custom variable (or event) that is an alternative/additional time on page metric variable.

Any and all tips are appreciated!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Try using UTC to calculate the time spent or difference in time .

Method 1 : Set eVar and event with current time when user lands on the page and use it as campaign stacking.

e.g time1>time2>time3

as user proceed with the pages it will keep appending the current time, later you can find the difference .

Method 2 : Create a universal link tracking which will do the UTC difference and record in a eVar and event whenever user choses to navigate to other page.

This can be triggered on clicks. 

~Dev aka-Devil@Sitecat

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Level 1

No sure if this is a good idea but i did see a news site automatically fire a click event every minute that the user is actively reading their article(until 5 minutes). They determine active reading by checking if the browser tab is active (i.e the user has not minimized the browser window or switched to a new tab).

Correct answer by
Level 2

Try using UTC to calculate the time spent or difference in time .

Method 1 : Set eVar and event with current time when user lands on the page and use it as campaign stacking.

e.g time1>time2>time3

as user proceed with the pages it will keep appending the current time, later you can find the difference .

Method 2 : Create a universal link tracking which will do the UTC difference and record in a eVar and event whenever user choses to navigate to other page.

This can be triggered on clicks. 

~Dev aka-Devil@Sitecat