Expand my Community achievements bar.

Webinar: Adobe Customer Journey Analytics Product Innovations: A Quarterly Overview. Come learn for the Adobe Analytics Product team who will be covering AJO reporting, Graph-based Stitching, guided analysis for CJA, and more!
SOLVED

After the sequence segment

Adobe Champion

I would like to use the sequential segmentation feature, "after the sequence"- in order to see all templates/pages/actions that have happened after my visitor clicked on a navigation that has an internal tracking code- how would i build that segment? (also looking to understand the condition, THEN > WITHIN 1 HIT - does that mean after a HIT or IN the next HIT?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hey @debwilliam

So let's write out a simple sample Visit first:

• Page A
  • Page B
  • Click on element X
  • Page C
  • Page D

So basically we want to get back Page C and Page D.

One of the things you will notice is that Adobe requires at least 2 steps in a sequential segment X then Y.... and that the "X" is also included in the segment.

So a simple segment would look something like:

VISIT 

Custom Link equals X

THEN

Page exists

(note, sequences require Visit or Visitor level scope, it cannot apply to a HIT, however, you can create a HIT segment with a Visit or Visitor level container that uses a sequence)

In this case, I am using "Page exists" since maybe Page C isn't always the page after Click X... but if you know the specific page, you can put that here)

Now, one last thing, the default setting for the the above will be "Include Everyone" (which also included Page A and B, which you don't want). In this case, you will want to say "Only After Sequence", this should now restrict what is returned to Click X, Page C and Page D. (If you use "Only Before Sequence", that will return Page A, Page B and Click X).

You also asked about the AFTER and WITHIN options on the THEN clause.

So without adding these, the THEN sequence could be in any time...

Let's use a simple: Page A THEN Page B

That would return sequences such as: 

• Page A > Page B > Page C
  • Page A > Page C > Page D > Page B

So long as Page A appears before Page B, the sequence will be returned... 

However, let's say you need Page B to follow directly after Page A (and you know there are no other hits between those pages), you can use:

Page A

THEN Within 1 Hit

Page B

OR

Page A

THEN Within 1 Page View

Page B

(this one will only look at page views and not clicks / actions that occur between the pages)

You may also have some variable flows, but you want to constrain the sequence to a reasonable amount, so you can say "within 5 page views", or when looking at a Visitor, maybe you want to look at Add Product to Cart and Purchase within 2 Visits...

The AFTER logic means you want some time between the events... so maybe you want to see users that didn't check out in the same visit... you want to see people who came back... the AFTER would be used to create that buffer... 

So think of WITHIN as "between step 1 and some defined period where step 2 must exist", and AFTER as "step 1, then ignore hits until a defined period has passed, then step 2 should occur"

I hope that helps!

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hey @debwilliam

So let's write out a simple sample Visit first:

• Page A
  • Page B
  • Click on element X
  • Page C
  • Page D

So basically we want to get back Page C and Page D.

One of the things you will notice is that Adobe requires at least 2 steps in a sequential segment X then Y.... and that the "X" is also included in the segment.

So a simple segment would look something like:

VISIT 

Custom Link equals X

THEN

Page exists

(note, sequences require Visit or Visitor level scope, it cannot apply to a HIT, however, you can create a HIT segment with a Visit or Visitor level container that uses a sequence)

In this case, I am using "Page exists" since maybe Page C isn't always the page after Click X... but if you know the specific page, you can put that here)

Now, one last thing, the default setting for the the above will be "Include Everyone" (which also included Page A and B, which you don't want). In this case, you will want to say "Only After Sequence", this should now restrict what is returned to Click X, Page C and Page D. (If you use "Only Before Sequence", that will return Page A, Page B and Click X).

You also asked about the AFTER and WITHIN options on the THEN clause.

So without adding these, the THEN sequence could be in any time...

Let's use a simple: Page A THEN Page B

That would return sequences such as: 

• Page A > Page B > Page C
  • Page A > Page C > Page D > Page B

So long as Page A appears before Page B, the sequence will be returned... 

However, let's say you need Page B to follow directly after Page A (and you know there are no other hits between those pages), you can use:

Page A

THEN Within 1 Hit

Page B

OR

Page A

THEN Within 1 Page View

Page B

(this one will only look at page views and not clicks / actions that occur between the pages)

You may also have some variable flows, but you want to constrain the sequence to a reasonable amount, so you can say "within 5 page views", or when looking at a Visitor, maybe you want to look at Add Product to Cart and Purchase within 2 Visits...

The AFTER logic means you want some time between the events... so maybe you want to see users that didn't check out in the same visit... you want to see people who came back... the AFTER would be used to create that buffer... 

So think of WITHIN as "between step 1 and some defined period where step 2 must exist", and AFTER as "step 1, then ignore hits until a defined period has passed, then step 2 should occur"

I hope that helps!

Adobe Champion

Hi Jennifer,

As always I learn something new from your responses. 

My scenario is as below:

VISIT:

Page A

Page B

Custom Click

Page C

Page D

I need to pull a few reports for any Actions/templates or pages that happened "Immediately after" the custom click.  Basically UX team wants to know what the user does -like everything they do after that one custom click.