Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Adobe Analytics - What happens when a server call response shown as 'canceled' in browser network?

Level 2

Hi Adobe Team,

I would like to know as to what exactly happens behind the scene when an AA server call request shows its response status as canceled(in red) instead of 200OK in the chrome browser network? As the analytics call has hit the Adobe data collection server - does it processes the data further or rejects it? If it rejects the data, on what basis it does that?

1756827_pastedImage_2.png

Thanks,

Abhinav

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

not sure if it is really "not tracked"... problems with proxy/IP or similar would lead to another status code instead of "cancelled" ...

another problem might be that the browser navigated immediately after the server call. I mean it sent the data, navigated to next page (eg. on a exit link) and cancelled the request to not wait the "response". if that's the case, the data has been sent but browser did not wait for the server response...

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Level 2

As per my understanding, that server call will not leave the browser ie adobe will not receive it.

Community Advisor

Dear Abhinav,

If you see Cancelled Status, then your data is not collected at Adobe Analytics End.

Guess it is not because Adobe Rejects, it but might be due to Firewall Issue, Proxy Settings, IP Exclusion etc.

Can you check whether you are receiving the same error if you test it outside of your office network?

Thank You!

Arun

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

not sure if it is really "not tracked"... problems with proxy/IP or similar would lead to another status code instead of "cancelled" ...

another problem might be that the browser navigated immediately after the server call. I mean it sent the data, navigated to next page (eg. on a exit link) and cancelled the request to not wait the "response". if that's the case, the data has been sent but browser did not wait for the server response...

Level 1
I agree.. I do not think that the hit is "not tracked" always. I am facing this scenario in a regular link (Not an exit link) that simply takes me from one page to another within the same site. I see the cancelled requests but I do see the click data on the reports. So like you mentioned, maybe the browser is just not waiting for the server response.

Community Advisor

Dear Abhinav,

Agree with ursboller​!

I should change my statement. If there are Firewall Issue, Proxy Settings, IP Exclusion etc., there will be different status code. For cancelled, above said by ursboller​ is valid.

Anyhow, check whether the variables are captured at Adobe Analytics end.

Thank You!

Arun

Level 1

Follow up question. What happens when an AA server call request shows its response status as 'Pending' ? Does Adobe Server receives the data?

1793807_pastedImage_0.png

Community Advisor

Dear Abhinav,

Pretty not sure. But you have the simple solution! Test it.

Give a unique Page Name and see whether you are able to see the Page Name in the report, simple as that.

Thank You!

Arun

Level 3

I tested this myself today, by adding a querystring parameter to the URL so I could segment my visit once it was baked into AA

There are some clicks I encounter which navigate away from our page which I believe is what causes the cancellation, same as captured in your Abhinav's screen shot

While generating my data I tallied the Success Events I expected to see after the session was processed. Some of the calls were cancelled and some of those same clicks made it out before the page unloaded

In my case the same number of clicks I executed, both Cancelled and 200 were counted in AA Workspace

I suppose the fix to fully prevent the cancellation in the case of a quick unloading of the page, is to increase the delay in s.tl() or activate the 100ms delay within the Launch rule handling that event