Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Adobe Analytics Page View not showing with cross domain transfer first visit issue.

Level 3

Hey all, i'm having this issue. We have a website that has a link that transfer over to our blog site (hosted under WP) and has cross domain. The first visit doesn't generate a page (s.t) call. When you refresh or go back, it fires those s.t calls afterwards but not the initial. Anyone ever experienced this? I am digging deeper into this trying to find out what's going on and thought I'd ask here in case. Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3

Update:

I have found the issue, I went through every line in the custom code of the adobe extension and apparently a previous developer left a small snippet calling a function that didn't exist, what made it even more challenging is that there were no console errors for me to work off of.

Thanks everyone for all your assistance and replies with this.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Community Advisor

Without seeing your implementation or your sites this will be hard... but I'm going to provide a few suggestions.

1. If your applications are a Single Page Application, it's possible your s.t call isn't using something like "DOM Ready" or "Window Loaded" cause that would only work on the first page and nothing else... in this case you are likely using some other custom trigger designed to work with the SPA.... however, what may be happening is that the initial load of the site isn't triggering that action, and so the tracking isn't firing.

This may mean asking the developers to properly ensure the trigger is fired correctly, or (I don't really like this... but your hands may be tied on this) create a second trigger for a standard DOM Ready or Window Loaded in order to capture the initial load of the content...... (the problem here is if the main trigger starts to work on the initial page, you will get two page views....)

2. Regardless of whether or not the site is an SPA, you may need to do some digging... There is a good Chrome extension called "Launch Switch" which when enabled turns on logging... so you can see which rules are firing, or if conditions are applied to rules, which rules aren't firing because of said condition.... This can be invaluable in debugging your implementation to see what is happening in your console log.

If you don't want to install another extension (or can't for some reason, or just hate Chrome ) you can also throw a custom code block as the first item in your rule and just have it write some debugging code to your console:

console.log("page view rule should be firing")

and see if that text appears in your console or not.....

Good Luck!

Level 3

Hi @Jennifer_Dungan , originally our s.t call was working and then suddenly dropped off. DOM Ready and Window Loaded is implemented. I actually have the reverse effect where on a first visit (cleared cache) from Site A clicking a link going to Site B, there is no s.t call, I check the network and no b/ss hit as well. But when I refresh the page or click a link from that first page, s.t calls begin to populate normally. I did notice and came across this message when I was doing discovery work and comparing. On the working pages when s.t fires, I see this in console:

visitor.publishDestinations() result: The destination publishing iframe is already attached and loaded.

When I experience no s.t call, I don't see that message. I even updated the Adobe Extension just in case it needed to be updated but same result for me.

Community Advisor

Test the cross domain link and check if there are any errors reported in your browser's console. Some errors can block other scripts from running, which may include AA's tracking call.

Level 3

Tested the cross domain link and didn't see any console errors. This was originally was working but suddenly dropped and was no longer working. I also see this when I was doing discovery work researching this issue.

On a page that I refresh or click after the first visit, I see this message:

visitor.publishDestinations() result: The destination publishing iframe is already attached and loaded.

On the first visit page where no s.t call occurs (not even a b/ss call in network), that message doesn't display. I'm kind of putting my finger on that being an issue but can't confirm for sure. It's just something I noticed as I was digging into this.

Community Advisor

That is very odd... I've seen similar behaviour in the same site..  where the developers use JS to change the content and the URL (similar to an SPA) but it only affects a few pages (dealing with that right now).. but I don't know if that can be done cross domain....

Since you aren't seeing any issues, you might need to work with your developers to debug the transition and see what is happening... It's a good thing you caught that, that's a very strange issue.

Community Advisor

You mentioned that this was working, but now it's not working. What had changed between the time when it was working and now when it's not working?

Level 3

There hasn't been any change within Adobe for us. Looking into if something changed within the WP engine itself and will try to find the drop off of data to see if something did get updated/pushed.

Also adding in case it helps:

• _satellite is defined still
  • s is defined
  • I know a few of our rules are working because I see attributes we implemented on clickable elements populated which only populates through a custom code in a rule we had. I also see our pixels/floodlights firing as well (also to add, when using Launch Debugger, no rules are showing as firing but I know they are because I see our pixels/floodlights and custom code for one specific rule working)

Community Advisor

Ok, having s and the satellite vars defined is a good sign... it means that your JS files are being loaded properly... it basically comes down to the trigger that is being used and why on initial page load it's not working....

I don't know if you feel comfortable sharing your website URL (it can even be through a DM so that it's not publicly posted)... but even with that, I would only be able to see the end results (I wouldn't be able to see your codes or configurations to help troubleshoot)

Level 3

Update:

Adding that I can replicate it without cross domain (so I do not need to come from one site to the other). If I clear cache/cookies/session and go directly to my URL, no page analytics first view but if I browse and click to another page or refresh the page, I get the page analytics call.

Correct answer by
Level 3

Update:

I have found the issue, I went through every line in the custom code of the adobe extension and apparently a previous developer left a small snippet calling a function that didn't exist, what made it even more challenging is that there were no console errors for me to work off of.

Thanks everyone for all your assistance and replies with this.