Expand my Community achievements bar.

Webinar: Adobe Customer Journey Analytics Product Innovations: A Quarterly Overview. Come learn for the Adobe Analytics Product team who will be covering AJO reporting, Graph-based Stitching, guided analysis for CJA, and more!
SOLVED

Adobe Analytics is slow to build and operate

Level 1
Level 1

When working on a report, the performance of all the actions I attempt is slow. For instance, after adding a 'DIMENSION,' there's a 2-second delay before it pops up, and the same applies to any other 'METRICS.' Even when successfully adding them to the report, modifications take 5 to 10 seconds to register. The most frustrating part is that even scrolling up and down incurs a delay of a few seconds. I've searched various forums for similar issues but haven't found any helpful solutions. I've tried some remedies, such as changing browsers (I use Chrome) and deleting cookies, but the problem persists. Please help as soon as possible, as I'm unable to work on any projects as a digital analyst.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

According to Adobe, the following factors can contribute to longer report generation times. Increasing one of these might not result in a timeout for that report, but it could be a factor. Additionally, it might delay other reports in the report suite queue and cause a subsequent report to timeout. In general, the greater the number of requests to retrieve the data for a Workspace, the longer it will take the report to fully load.

Longest Report Date Range

The largest factor that affects report generation time is the number of months requested. Reducing the number of months from three to one decreases generation time significantly, but reducing the time range from one month to one week does not have a significant impact on report generation time. Workspaces with report periods over a year can significantly slow down the report rendering.

Number of unique values

Reports that contain hundreds of thousands of unique values generate more slowly than reports that contain fewer unique values, even if a segment or filter reduces the number of values that ultimately appear in a report. For example, a report that displays search terms typically generates more slowly than other reports, even if a filter is applied to show only search terms that contain a specific value.

Number of used metrics

Each metric is another report request. As the number of metrics increases, the report run time increases. Removing metrics often improves report generation time.

Number of used correlations

Within a report, each breakdown represents a separate request and each request is subject to an individual timeout. While individual requests may complete quickly, running many breakdowns in a single report can slow down report generation time and could also affect the report suite queue. Typically, a user runs one or maybe two levels of breakdown at a time so this is usually not an issue.

Number of used segments and their complexity

Segments that consider many dimensions or have many (24+) rules increase the processing impact and increase the report generation time. Segments this complex are not typical.

Number of available components

The total number of components retrieved in the left rail of the project, across all report suites in the project. This includes dimensions, metrics, segments, dates. This will impact the speed in which the left rail loads and how fast search results are returned within it.

The number of Free Form cells

The total number of Freeform table cells in the project, calculated by rows * columns across all tables in the Workspace (excludes hidden data sources). The Abobe guideline is to use less than 4000.

Number of expanded panels

A single workspace can have multiple panels and these can be open or collapsed when the report is loading. Adobe suggests limiting the number of expanded panels out of the total number of panels to 5.

Number of expanded visualizations

This is the number of expanded tables and visualizations out of the total in the project when the report is loading, including hidden data sources. Adobe suggests limiting the number of open visualizations to 15.

Report Suite Queue

Each report suite maintains a separate queue of requests. If many reports are requested simultaneously, even from separate users, some number of reports are generated simultaneously. Any additional reports are put in the queue. As reports complete, remaining reports are generated in the order in which they were received. If a large number of complex reports are already in the report suite queue, a report that typically generates quickly might time out.

Internet connection speeds

The slower internet connection speeds will lead to slower report rendering.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Community Advisor

I know those delays can really be frustrating!  I've been working with Analytics today and haven't noticed extreme delays for the most part.  Is this something new for you or has it been persisting?

When you have a project open, you can click on Help menu > Performance.  This will perform some tests and may give indications of what's causing issues.

Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Josh, here is the attachment, are you able to find any clue? 

A23_0-1706643545325.png

Community Advisor

I notice that your rendering speed is 6 Frames Per Second while Adobe recommends at least 24 Frames Per Second.  I just checked my performance, and I'm getting 61 Frames Per Second.  I'd recommend ensuring you have as few apps & browser tabs (esp. Chrome) open as possible while working in Workspace.  If you reboot and close out everything possible and are still getting very low frames per second, you might need to work with your IT team.

You also have a high number of visualizations currently expanded.  When possible, try to keep most visualizations minimized.  This reduces the processing required.

Correct answer by
Level 10

According to Adobe, the following factors can contribute to longer report generation times. Increasing one of these might not result in a timeout for that report, but it could be a factor. Additionally, it might delay other reports in the report suite queue and cause a subsequent report to timeout. In general, the greater the number of requests to retrieve the data for a Workspace, the longer it will take the report to fully load.

Longest Report Date Range

The largest factor that affects report generation time is the number of months requested. Reducing the number of months from three to one decreases generation time significantly, but reducing the time range from one month to one week does not have a significant impact on report generation time. Workspaces with report periods over a year can significantly slow down the report rendering.

Number of unique values

Reports that contain hundreds of thousands of unique values generate more slowly than reports that contain fewer unique values, even if a segment or filter reduces the number of values that ultimately appear in a report. For example, a report that displays search terms typically generates more slowly than other reports, even if a filter is applied to show only search terms that contain a specific value.

Number of used metrics

Each metric is another report request. As the number of metrics increases, the report run time increases. Removing metrics often improves report generation time.

Number of used correlations

Within a report, each breakdown represents a separate request and each request is subject to an individual timeout. While individual requests may complete quickly, running many breakdowns in a single report can slow down report generation time and could also affect the report suite queue. Typically, a user runs one or maybe two levels of breakdown at a time so this is usually not an issue.

Number of used segments and their complexity

Segments that consider many dimensions or have many (24+) rules increase the processing impact and increase the report generation time. Segments this complex are not typical.

Number of available components

The total number of components retrieved in the left rail of the project, across all report suites in the project. This includes dimensions, metrics, segments, dates. This will impact the speed in which the left rail loads and how fast search results are returned within it.

The number of Free Form cells

The total number of Freeform table cells in the project, calculated by rows * columns across all tables in the Workspace (excludes hidden data sources). The Abobe guideline is to use less than 4000.

Number of expanded panels

A single workspace can have multiple panels and these can be open or collapsed when the report is loading. Adobe suggests limiting the number of expanded panels out of the total number of panels to 5.

Number of expanded visualizations

This is the number of expanded tables and visualizations out of the total in the project when the report is loading, including hidden data sources. Adobe suggests limiting the number of open visualizations to 15.

Report Suite Queue

Each report suite maintains a separate queue of requests. If many reports are requested simultaneously, even from separate users, some number of reports are generated simultaneously. Any additional reports are put in the queue. As reports complete, remaining reports are generated in the order in which they were received. If a large number of complex reports are already in the report suite queue, a report that typically generates quickly might time out.

Internet connection speeds

The slower internet connection speeds will lead to slower report rendering.

Community Advisor

I agree, the delays can be frustrating... part of the issue is that the entire interface is coded in JavaScript, so it uses a lot of memory to complete a lot of the tasks.. older / slower machines, or just having a lot of programs open can all contribute to slow times.

Sometimes I will actually save my work and refresh the report to clear up some of the memory usage and get things working a little faster.

The number of extensions / plugins on your browser may also be causing some issues... you could try using Incognito with the extensions disabled and see if that helps...

If you have access to this, and you are using an infrastructure at work that supports this, but you might be able to get your DevOps team to set up a work server that you can remote into that has dedicated cores and memory to give yourself an isolated environment in which to work... 

Most of these are all bandaid solutions though... but you aren't alone... I love Workspace, but when it's slow it can be really hard to get anything done....

Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Jennifer, I always think AA is for regular usage, I don't think our DevOps team will create any work server for us. However, it is very hard for me to work on AA. Do you know anyone I can connect that able to help? Seem like Adobe doesn't really care.

Thanks

Vincent

Community Advisor

I wouldn't say that "Adobe" doesn't care... but I imagine this isn't really an issue that Client Care is likely to take seriously.... however, let me do some digging and try to find someone in the interface team... the problem is that performance issues can be some of the hardest issues to track down... particularly when dealing with different computers (and not just their fancy fast machines with huge monitors - they frequently miss how things are going to look on a laptop screen...)

But, I will try to advocate where ever possible for performance improvements.. it just won't help you "now"... unfortunately.