Expand my Community achievements bar.

Workload Balancer

Level 6
Hi Does anyone else have concerns that the Workload Balancer will eventually replace the current resource scheduler but won't be visible to users with a Work License? We've invested a lot of time encouraging our users with work license access to view their workload via Teams/Working On as well as via the Staffing tab on Projects. It would be such a shame for them to lose this level of visibility. Would appreciate your feedback. Jane Jane Bradshaw BAKKAVOR LTD
42 Replies

Level 1
Hi Vazgen, Looking at the message from Doug below, I think all of the bullets he states are exactly what we're looking for! thanks for providing that Doug. Ellen Ellen Rayme Creative Services

Level 10
Thanks Doug and Ellen We will organize our research around this and investigate potential for preserving the values with visualizing the warning. Stay tuned for further updates, that functionality is planned for 20.2 üôÇ Vazgen Babayan Senior Product Manager

Level 4
Hey Bill, we're not seeing anything in the unassigned work section at all! Christine Zhu Chobani

Level 4

Hi Vazgen, I'd like to chime in and just reiterate that it would be amazing to be able to adjust the number of planned hours directly from the Workload Balancer screen. When you click on the three dots next to a task to open up the "task summary" there's no where that states the number of planned hours that are assigned to that particular task, just the Planned Completion Date. Having everything in one place would be really helpful for the Resource Manager and prevent having to open up multiple screens/tabs. Christine Zhu Chobani

0690z000007ZgrxAAC.png

Level 10
Hi Christine, The vision for the side panel is to have it customizable through Layout Templates so that you can select the fields that are relevant for you. However, at this point that's not available, but you can see the total Planned Hours on the left panel, where the task and project names are. Vazgen Babayan Senior Product Manager

Level 4
Hi Vazgen, I think it's still very important for the resource manager to be able to manipulate the planned hours from the Workload Balancer based on insights from the Planner without having to open up a separate window/tab with the Project or Task info. Does anyone else have a process that's working for them now? Christine Zhu Chobani

Level 4
Hi Vazgen (again!) Another feature that would be incredibly helpful for the Resource Balancer would be the ability to view by Project w/ the assigned resources, not just by users. Currently the only way to view by all projects is through the Resource Scheduler and that tool doesn't allow you to actually manipulate the Planned hours on the project. Thank you! Christine Zhu Chobani

Level 10
Thanks for the feedback, Christine! Workfront today doesn't allow changing Planned Hours on a project directly, do you refer to tasks? Vazgen Babayan Senior Product Manager

Level 4
Hey Vazgen, yes, changing the planned hours on a task that are part of a project. I've also gone ahead and submitted the idea here: https://experience.workfront.com/s/idea/0870z000000XhyTAAS/detail Christine Zhu Chobani

Level 10
Thanks a lot, Christine! That will really help. A question, what if you were able to change the planned hours using the hourly distribution? So let's say by default the distribution is 5 5 5 5 for 20 hour task. You go in and change the numbers to 10 5 5 5. As you click Save, the task planned hours becomes 25. Vazgen Babayan Senior Product Manager

Community Advisor
That would be super helpful for us, but we would like to be able to reduce the hours, as well - so the default the distribution of 5 5 5 5 for a 20 hour task could be changed to 2 2 2 2, then when you click Save, the task planned hours becomes 8. This would be a game changer for us! Sheri Whitten

Level 10
Hi Sheri, As shown below, our (unlisted) Resource Contouring solution can do what you're describing, and at the Day or Week or Month level (for folks with longer tasks). Happy to chat further if you're interested in more details via doug.denhoed@atappstore.com. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore

Community Advisor
That's a great option, Doug :) We do have SSO enabled, so I don't think we can use this solution. Is that correct? Sheri Whitten

Level 10
Thanks Sheri, Actually (although you're right that the Workfont API does not support SSO), we've developed a technique that allows most of our solutions to be SSO compatible...including Resource Contouring. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore

Level 4
Hi Vazgen, That would definitely be a major improvement. Thank you!! Christine Zhu Chobani

Level 10
Thanks again for the feedback! That functionality is planned but will be available for tasks with Simple Duration Type as for other types the Planned Hours value per assignee is calculated by the system. Do you see that being a problem for you? Vazgen Babayan Senior Product Manager

Level 5
Is there a plan to be able to filter out completed and on hold projects/tasks from the balancer? If it's complete or on hold (or cancelled), then I don't have to worry about it taking up a worker's time in the next few days or weeks and the worker could have bandwidth for the new project/tasks since they completed some of their other tasks. Showing completed makes me think their time is still need on that project/task, when it's not. Also, I read that tasks have to have a duration of more than 0. But sometimes I need the task completed in the same day, and I have to put 0 (1 will move the due date to the following day in some cases). Will those taks with 0 (same day) duration not appear in the balancer? Any tricks for using the balancer? I'm overall struggling with its usefulness even after reading the help articles, so perhaps I'm using it incorrectly. Janelle Hicks Lifespan Corporation

Level 10
Hi Janelle Ability to filter out projects based on the status is on the roadmap for 20.2, our team is currently working on that as I write this :) For the duration of tasks, we use the duration to calculate the workload for a period via dividing Planned Hours value on duration. 0 duration will cause problems, but any non-zero duration will work, even 1 minute. Vazgen Babayan Senior Product Manager

Level 6

Hi @Exp - Vazgen Babayan‚

I hope you are safe and well.

Are there any plans to be able to export the Workload Balancer and also add Filter Rules to enable us to exclude tasks that are 100% complete, like in the Resource Planner?

All the best

Jane

Level 10

Hi Jane,

Exporting is not on the roadmap, but the filters for complete tasks are planned. We will share more information in upcoming webinars.