Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Workflows/processes for Projects connected to Issues

Level 10
hey folks, the way my users have been trained to work is that there is a body of work that starts as an issue that gets converted to a project. There's also a body of work that starts as projects. The problem is: if a project is first created and later an issue is created that the project addresses, the PM ends up having to convert the issue to a project and move the project guts into the converted project. Which seems like a pain. Does anyone have a less painful option? -skye
6 Replies

Level 7
Hi Skye, OK, I may totally be missing something or not understanding fully, but if the project that is already created will address and/or solve the issue that was brought up later, then on the issue, why doesn't the PM indicate to the person who raised the issue, that we are already working on this or that we are already aware of this, and it will be addressed by ABC Project. And, then the PM can close the issue as is. Terry Hynd EBSCO Information Services

Level 10
Good question. I should have been more clear. The standard practice is to allow for a project/issue connection to accomplish the following: 1) external conversation can happen in the issue 2) internal conversation can happen in the project 3) project workers can easily travel between the project and the issue, and 4) this is the gotcha: users are setting up projects full of issues, as a way to manage smaller sub projects. Number 4 is a biggie, so I hope I'm really clear on it. There's an over-arching project started, and then issues created for all the deliverables needed on that project. Each team takes their issue and creates their own project out of it, leaving the originating issue in the original project intact. Then they travel back and forth as needed, to communicate with their requestor. They have reports created that maintain that issue and project connection as well, as a way to track where the work initiated (hope that makes sense). -skye

Level 7
OK, I understand now, and sorry, I won't be able to help much on this one. We don't use issues on projects like that. If we have an overarching campaign, where there are multiple deliverables, each deliverable is set up as its own project from the start (e.g., PowerPoint, Infographic, Email) using pre-defined templates, and then all tied together under a common Program. Hopefully, someone else will have a solution for you. Terry Hynd EBSCO Information Services

Level 10
Thanks Terry. I would have loved to suggest the Program/Project connection to them, but they would end up with hundreds of programs per portfolio. We really need to have a way to deactivate programs (or even being able to move them would be better than nothing) -skye

Community Advisor
If you go into the Issue Details tab, click Edit Overview, you get a Resolved By dropdown at the bottom of the page - where you can indicated that this issue is being resolved by a project, task, or another issue. Just select project and begin typing the project name. However, if that project is already the resolver of another issue, it will overwrite that. It's a 1:1 relationship. Heather Slater Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.

Level 10
Thanks Heather! I didn't realize that field could be overwritten :). I'll get the PM to play around with that, and see how it goes for her. I sure appreciate you writing in with this simple answer. :D -skye