Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Why are my groupings out of order on All projects view

Level 10
Why are my groupings out of order on All projects view - please see the attached picture.
5 Replies

Level 10
Hi Benetta. This is a tricky concept, but from what I've observed, the report seems to load the data first by the Sort Order (e.g. Name, judging from the little arrow at the top of that column on your screenshot) for the first chunk of rows that match the criteria, and then with those results, applying the Grouping (on Planned Completion Date) second . To get the Groupings to apply more logically, I suggest you add the Planned Completion Date to the view (as the first column, logically), and sort by it first, ascending, and then by the project name second. That way, Workfront will bring back what you expect to group by first, and the group by it second, resulting in Groupings that are Ordered Logically. Regards, Doug

Level 10
Doug, I grouped by anything value that was a date - and they are all "broken". Your suggestion will fix - completion date by month - grouping issue but then what about the other groupings that other team members use in this same view? I have opened a problem report because this is just now working properly.

Level 10
Right you are, Benetta: if you order and group by one date column (such as Planned Completion Date), it invariably will trip up some other date field. However, by educating users on how Sort and Group By work in tadem (and thinking ahead by adding each Date Field of interest to the View for easy sorting), I suspect it's a trainable situation. Regards, Doug

Level 10
Ah yes, the randomization of dates is an undocumented feature ‚ò∫ Grouping does not imply sorting. Grouping implies aggregation. If you want the dates in order, then you should sort the report by Planned Completion Date. Then, when you group it by Planned Completion Date, they will be grouped and in order. Give it a try! Eric

Level 10
Eric, I gave it a try and yes it worked. The results are grouped in the proper order, when the column is selected for sorting. I have sent an email out to my team - explaining this situation. Thank you all...