Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Just started our implementation this week and was on a call today discussing admin preferences. Que

Level 3
Just started our implementation this week and was on a call today discussing admin preferences. Question came up about scheduling with duration or by hours. Looking for more info.
9 Replies

Level 5
You need to balance both. Duration is the length of time people have to get things done. Planned hours is the heads down time on that task. So a meeting if 5 people that lasts an hour may need 5 planned hours, but need 5 days of duration to allow time to schedule. Having a good planned hours estimate is critical for resource scheduling and determining allocation On Fri, Apr 21, 2017, 7:11 PM James Grey < globalforum@communitylists.workfront.com> wrote: > Just started our implementation this week and was on a call today > discussing admin preferences. Question came up about scheduling with > duration or by hours. Looking for more info. > > -----End Original Message----- >

Level 10
Hi: We only schedule by hours. The mere passage of time does not imply progress. The consumption of planned labor hours is directly correlated to progress. I’ve struggled, in fact, to find a case where scheduling based on duration is meaningful. Thanks! Eric

Level 5
We have learned over the course of our 4 months of using Workfront that both matter. In our 'old' world of just planned hours (not using duration at all), we only saw those hours within the day scheduled. When we tried to match duration to planned hours in Workfront, given that Workfront also measures based on time of day, we noticed that the majority of our staff were measured as "late" if they didn't complete their 1 hour planned time on the exact hour (where duration = plan). Scheduling every minute of a resource's time isn't reasonable. We currently now stretch our duration to a portion of a day relative to the plan hours (e.g. 1 plan hour = 0.25 day, 5.5 plan hours = 1 day; we schedule to 70% of a work day to account for "emergencies"). It is better but still not perfect. It really does depend on how your organization schedules and works their resources. For us it is still a learning curve, but one we are happy to get on.

Level 10
Hi: I thought the question related to setup : [cid:image001.jpg@01D2BCE6.0DD9C040] My response was in context of setting up WorkFront. If I misinterpreted, then I have to say - I can’t conceive of project planning where you don’t manage the calendar duration of a task along with the variable planned hours assigned to the resources. You have to use both in planning. I don’t think using durations on tasks was the question, though. Thanks, Eric

Level 5
Good catch Eric, I answered based on Planning not Set-up and may have been the one who misinterpreted the question...

Level 10
Hi, "https://community.workfront.com/p/fo/st/topic=39&post=6308#p6308" https://community.workfront.com/p/fo/st/topic=39&post=6308#p6308 That's what we came with when i posted similar question. Hope that helps.

Level 3
Thanks all. Dogmara the link was very helpful.

Level 9
James, Just wanted to give you a heads up that if you have more questions in the future, we have this awesome Launch Group for customers going through their launch/implementation. You can continue to post questions here in the Global Forum, or you can drop by there to get mentoring from some awesome customers, and see some of the resources we've got available for you. (You just go to User Groups > Special Interest > Launch Group) Let me know if you have any questions! -Nate In Reply to James Grey:
Thanks all. Dogmara the link was very helpful.
-Nate Bagley --- Workfront Community Manager - Work Smart, Work Happy Message me directly at:

Level 3
Thanks, do I need to join either the New Users or Financial Services groups formally?