Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Where can I find more information about reference numbers beyond the Workfront Help Section?

Level 1
Where can I find more information about reference numbers beyond the Workfront Help Section?
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

15 Replies

Level 10
Hi Sarah - what do you want to know? Eric

Level 2
Hi Lucas, We are using WF as our IT helpdesk. When users send in an email we have WF create a ticket automatically and send a confirmation back to the user. We had a call form a user asking for an update on his ticket, we searched his name and had no ticket, he sent us his WF confirmation which contains a reference number however when we search the reference number it does not exists in WF. Now looking closely at this reference number I see gaps all over the place, it appears to be sequential but with GAPS. I am looking at all issues in the system with no filters and i have a good run of sequential numbers then a gap, sometimes of one or two and sometimes a gap of 15. any input would be helpful, thanks

Level 7
You should be able to find the Issue when entering the Reference Number field. In fact if you use the search in the upper right, and click the drop-down and select "Issues", then type the reference number in, it should open that issue up directly. Are you an Admin of the system? If not, you may not have been able to find the issue because it is not shared with you. It would be highly unusual that you couldn't find the reference number if you have full access -something went very wrong, OR, maybe someone deleted the issue?

Level 2
Yes I am Admin, and I have tried the search (I use that for everything) I am thinking someone must of deleted but I have a number of reference numbers I cannot find in the system using the search

Level 7
If you still have the confirmation email, try clicking on the link in the email to see if it comes up. Also, see if you can have the person who sent you the confirmation email and see if they can bring it up.

Level 2
Already tried both, it is nowhere to be found in the system. And with no recycle bin…….

Level 5
All the gaps have been deleted. I usually remove issue deletion from all but admin users and encourage users to cancel instead of delete. On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 11:49 AM Sean Stoyles < globalforum@communitylists.workfront.com> wrote: > Already tried both, it is nowhere to be found in the system. And with no > recycle bin……. > > > > *

Level 5
Though reference numbers are used for all object types, so other gaps might be projects/tasks/etc. But if it was an issue, it was deleted. On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 1:50 PM Melinda Layten wrote: > All the gaps have been deleted. I usually remove issue deletion from all > but admin users and encourage users to cancel instead of delete. > > On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 11:49 AM Sean Stoyles < > globalforum@communitylists.workfront.com> wrote: > > Already tried both, it is nowhere to be found in the system. And with no > recycle bin……. > > > > *

Level 10
Maybe kickstart export data can give you a clue - particularly issues. AFAIK, reference numbers go sequential but they are for objects. Eg if project A is reference 1, the next object created was an issue, this will be ref 2, then an update was done, that's ref 3. Hence, while we wanted a ticketing system from WF, we're unable to use the reference number as it's difficult for the average user to remember and find.

Level 2
Thank you for input, I have changed to not allow deletes

Level 10
Hi, Sean. How are you able to configure so Workfront converts email requests to issues? We use a plugin; we select the email and bring it into Workfront that way.

Level 7
Susan, under Queue Setup you can configure to allow issues to be added via email.

Level 10
I'll need to look. What qualifiers are needed? If you get many emails how do you know when one is a an actual request?

Level 7
You set up a specific email address for that queue (Project). You also set who is allowed to create an issue through the email by several options - like only those that can View the Project, those from the Project's company, etc. So if you're setting it up for a Project for ABC company, you may want to create a new email address called ABCIssues@yourdomain.com.