Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

When amending our timing plans (Projects) with new predecessors or new dates, it takes 1-2 minutes to show the update, is there anyway we can speed this up?

Level 2

We mainly have waterfall projects 2000-4000 tasks, every time we update our project with new timings or predecessors takes a minute or so, or prompts us to refresh the page to show the new timings. Appreciate it's a lot of tasks, but the timing plans are taking a chunk of our time. We have looked at splitting the project into separate projects. But are there any other suggestions?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Jez,

As you pointed out, when you make a change to the project timeline it will take some time to recalculate the dates across thousands of tasks. There are a couple of options I can think of that you could try and see if it makes the process more efficient:

1) As you mentioned, you could split your project into several (maybe group them into a program to keep them organised in the system) and create cross project predecessors across each of the projects so that the overall timeline is synced. Having less tasks in each project will inherently speed up the timeline recalculations.

2) You may want to try the different planning modes and see if one is more efficient for you (auto-save vs manual standard vs manual timeline). This article on Workfront One here talks through the different settings and how it can affect the timeline planning / timeline recalculations. The timeline planning mode was developed specifically to improve the speed of making timeline changes, however I believe that it only works where there are 2000 tasks or less.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Rich.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Jez,

As you pointed out, when you make a change to the project timeline it will take some time to recalculate the dates across thousands of tasks. There are a couple of options I can think of that you could try and see if it makes the process more efficient:

1) As you mentioned, you could split your project into several (maybe group them into a program to keep them organised in the system) and create cross project predecessors across each of the projects so that the overall timeline is synced. Having less tasks in each project will inherently speed up the timeline recalculations.

2) You may want to try the different planning modes and see if one is more efficient for you (auto-save vs manual standard vs manual timeline). This article on Workfront One here talks through the different settings and how it can affect the timeline planning / timeline recalculations. The timeline planning mode was developed specifically to improve the speed of making timeline changes, however I believe that it only works where there are 2000 tasks or less.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Rich.

Level 2

Thank you @Richard Leek‚ I'll give it a go.

Thanks!

Jez