Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

What naming convention are you using for project titles?

Level 4

Our Marketing/Communications department is considering implementing a standardized naming convention for our project titles in Workfront and I wanted to see what other companies are doing in this regard.  How does your organization go about this?

2 Replies

Community Advisor

Is this a marketing dpt that is in house or you have clients? Common things I’ve seen is if external having client abbreviation in the name, if internal then maybe department or LOBs. Really depends how your structure is.

Some examples:

client abbreviation_project type or segment/product line_name 

TJ_Social_Black Friday (TJ=Trader Joes)

ACE_Camping_Tent Sale Ad

LOB_segment or product line_name

Finance_Auditing_Q4 ‘23

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

Level 9

We name ours with a channel/asset type identifier, timing and title.

Example below for what this looks like for some of our channel/asset type. We have about 25 options.

Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 8.49.46 AM.png

Examples of what this would look like in Workfront:

app_1-1_1-3_new_years

em_11-27_black_friday_launch

We ask our project managers to keep the name as short as possible as designers will pick up the name for their design files.

If your team is storing assets in a DAM tool I would also take this into consideration. We ask that our team not use any of these special characters below to avoid any issues with URL's not working from the DAM.

• Do not use special characters: ~ ! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) ` ; < > ? , [ ] { } ' " . and | should be avoided o

• Underscore, dash can be used 

• Do not use spaces (use underscore character _ )