Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

We'd like to use a custom form to allow staff to enter their PTO and have it show up in the Teams view, using the planned start date and planned end date. Is there any way to do that?

Level 2

We have a custom form for an issue and would like to allows staff to enter the planned start date and planned end date when they submit the form.  Workfront support confirms those dates can't be added on a custom form.  Is there a way to allow users to enter another date (custom) on the form that would then flow into the planned start and end date fields, or could be used as a calculated field to calculated the planned start date and planned end date?  If not, are there other workarounds?  It seems odd that I can create an issue with a custom form, but not use it to specify planned start and end dates for that issue.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 9

I would suggest using custom date fields (Time Off-Start, Time Off-End) or what not. Add these to your custom form. Then create a calendar that pulls in those dates that you populated only filtering 'time off' approved.

(Of course, you could do pending too if you wanted to, just use a different color). 

You could also use the 'assign to' field on the form for it to route the correct place. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 5

You can use the time off calendar built into Workfront for time off if you don't need them approved.  We have as request queue with a custom form. Ours has an approval process and converts to a task on a yearly time off project through Fusion.  Then we show these tasks via a shared calendar and dashboard using the custom form field dates they entered on the request..

Level 2

Thanks for this suggestion, but we do need an approval process and for this to show up in the "Teams" view along with their work issues, which are all based on the planned start date and planned end date.  We also want to use this same workflow for other staff to enter issues with a planned start date and end date, and to have those issues show up in the Teams view.  

Level 9

So as an alternative, keep with the custom form and have a PTO project for the year.

When someone fills out the form, the manager converts the request to a task on the project and it then can be assigned to the person its related to. This will have it show up in the teams view too.

Level 2

This might be the way to do it.  The dates would be custom dates, then the approver would just duplicate the dates in the planned start date and planned end date fields (manual, but not terrible).  Then all work and PTO would show up correctly in the Teams view.  

Correct answer by
Level 9

I would suggest using custom date fields (Time Off-Start, Time Off-End) or what not. Add these to your custom form. Then create a calendar that pulls in those dates that you populated only filtering 'time off' approved.

(Of course, you could do pending too if you wanted to, just use a different color). 

You could also use the 'assign to' field on the form for it to route the correct place. 

Level 2

Thanks for this suggestion.  I think your suggestion could work for us, but unfortunately we wouldn't be able to see the correct PTO dates in the "Teams" view in Workfront.  Calendar views are ok, but the Teams view is a nice way to see everything people are working on, by person, by project/task/issue, over a given time period, with flexible views (e.g by day/week/month) so of course it would be nice to have PTO show up there too.  Calendar views are still pretty weak in WF if you want to view a lot of individual people and show what they're working on.  The calendar ends up pretty messy with more than a few items on a given day.